2000 or less : best choices for mains?

Question 1:
I have Paradigm Studio 40's V2 run by an Onkyo 575x. I was thinking about spending $2000 on new main speakers. What speaker(s) are the best for around that price range? I've heard the Paradigm Studio 100's are up there. Any others? I'll go used if i have to.

Question 2:
I am thinking about buying the Paradigm Servo-15 sub or the Velodyne HGS-18. Any thoughts? Any others to consider? We mostly watch movies/tv but i also listen to all types of music and like excellent bass. We had a Sunfire MKII for a while, nice sub, but i'd like more. Thanks!
weedo

Showing 1 response by valueaudio

My experience with Paradigm Reference speakers is that they can sound excellent, but the quality of upstream components is key.

It's amazing what these speakers can do with high quality sources, cabling, and recordings. I think you're doing well for speakers in this price range, especially if you add in their excellent Servo-15 or similar. I can't recall if the S-15 has a continuously adjustable phase control, but if it does, it can help you with nailing the sub imaging right between your mains.

I think what I'd do if I was you is make sure you have your speakers on good heavy stands, then put extra into raising the quality of the other pieces. Cables might be a good start if you don't have quality ones yet.