$1k preamp for McCormack DNA-125 recommendations?

I'm looking to get a nicer preamp to pair with my McCormack DNA-125. I'm looking to spend $1k or less for a new or used unit. I have no set preference for tubes or ss, and the pair would be driving my Ohm Walsh Super 2's (awesome speakers!). So far my short list includes:

- Mapletree Audio Line 2A SE or Ultra 4 SE
- Rogue Audio 66 or 99
- Manley Shrimp
- McCormack RLD-1

Are there any others that I should seriously consider? My current plan is to feed a Squeezebox & cd player to a Channel Islands VDA2 w/ VAC PSU - but if there's a better integrated preamp/dac that falls under the $2k mark I'd be interesed in hearing about those as well.

Thanks in advance!
sersalpha

Showing 1 response by ptmconsulting

I would highly recommend looking for something tubed over SS. Not that you couldn't find a nice SS to mate with it, just that these amps work quite well with tubes.

You could also look into passive pre's, since the McCormack's are designed to work well with them also. But there's tradeoff's there as well, mostly being a certain lack of dynamics that a good active linestage brings to the table. One other drawback to a passive is the absolutely amazing transparency. Once you hear this you will be hard pressed to find an active pre that can match it (that is, if you still want that extra dynamic).

Enjoy,
Bob