$165k - $200k speaker performance for $40k ?

Large Room (22 x 40 ft) Hypothetical situation:

Magnepan 20.7 ...............$14k
JL Audio F212 ...............$24k (4 subs, $6k each)

Can you get the above speaker and sub combo to approach the sound and performance of the Evolution Acoustics MM7, Magico Q7 or the Genesis 1.2?

Or, you may substitute a pair of the big SoundLabs for the Maggies.

Feel free to substitute any manufacturers subs you wish and and you may use up four subs in your set up.

The ceiling in this room is 20 feet high.

Just Trying to see if you can get statement speaker sound and performance by pairing the big Maggies or big SoundLabs with flagship subs.
128x128mitch4t

Showing 2 responses by soix

In my experience the deepest bass provides significant benefits in imaging/soundstaging in addition to reproducing the lowest frequencies, so I guess I may differ from Onhwy61 on this. The cost-no-object designs provide this foundation so I think Mitch is correct in incorporating multiple subs into this exercise.

Also in my experience, where the cost-no-object designs really set themselves apart is in terms of scale, dynamics, and ultimate physical presence of the performers and performance (along with ultimate refinement, but I think that's not quite as big a deal on an absolute basis relative to the other issues if you're starting with $40k speakers). While the Maggies can probably match the scale, dynamically they're different from cone-derived speakers so not sure adding subs will get you all the way there. Some may actually prefer the Maggies, but it's still different.

To create the presence and scale of the models you list in a room that size I believe is just going to require a lot of high-quality drivers in a large cabinet to move enough air from the upper bass on up -- at some point size matters (although I think the subs can match or maybe even surpass them on the bottom end). This precludes a lot of great speakers (i.e. Sasha, Pearl, Vandy Model 7, etc.) from contention, although I'm sure they'd sound fantastic with 2 or 4 high-quality subs properly integrated. You're specifically asking to match the larger benchmarks, and not sure they could produce the dynamics and scale to absolutely match them.

My best shot at it would be to take some of the smaller siblings of the best cost-no-object models and add some subs. I'm thinking speakers like Magico Q3, Rockport Avior, Vivid Giya G2 (a little over budget unless buying used), etc. My guess is this still won't quite do it but could get you tantalizingly close. And the extra $120k to $160k in your bank account might help cushion the blow that you maybe didn't quite get there.

This was fun to think about and can't wait to see what others come up with. Best of luck.
It's crazy to think that my recommendations of the Aviors and Q3s as "small" since they weigh about 500 lbs. per pair each, but it is all relative in our hobby isn't it? I still think with good subs they could be compelling even in this space.

However, my first impulse was to suggest a line array but didn't think it could be pulled off for $40k (or, at least not well). The GR Research speakers Vladmir mentions look very interesting (along with Selah and any others who might meet the price point) assuming they have the engineering chops and the company survives for the long haul (not a small consideration). Not sure the drivers and other components are up to the quality of the cost-no-object designs -- probably not. Anyway, I like the line array concept in this application as well.