$1500 tube amp for La Scalas?

hi all,

Might be getting my first pair of Heritage speakers and I'd like to see what all of the tube hype is about.  I will probably primarily be listening through some sort of streamer, perhaps something like the Bluesound Node or similar.

I've seen praise of the Willsenton R8 but wanted to see what else was out there, perhaps if I went to the used market.  Can you suggest some models which might be in my range and would work well with the a single input source?

I've also heard really good things about the Decware but not sure about the current lead times nor the wattage output in the models in my pricerange.  Listening room is fairly large so I was thinking while the La Scalas won't need a ton of power, I was thinking something more than 2w might be necessary.

Appreciate any thoughts in advance!

thanks!

128x128johns21

Showing 3 responses by johns21

Googling a little and saw the Quicksilver mentioned, esp their integrated amp.  Too bad the tubes are all closed up with a cover!  I sort of like the idea of seeing them.  Probably silly, but still

hi everyone, thanks for all of the thoughts.  So I was doing some reading.  I thought I knew the difference between an amp, an integrated amp and a dac, etc, but I think I might be confused again.

Anyway, I read that you CAN use the volume control on the Bluesound Node, but probably should not as it sounds bad and if the volume slider gets moved all of the way up, you can imagine.

So one question is.....if I get a real power amp, would the passive Schitt SYS preamp work ok for the time being for the volume control?

I also see amps like the Decware Zen Triod with a volume knob, so I guess those are more integrated amps than a power amp?  And the DAC I was kind of interested in, the Black Ice DAC FX also has a volume knob?  So this could act as a pre-amp and DAC also?

yes, I think the main "knock" of the LS is the lack of bass. I think alot depends on what you listen to, of course. I think there are certain genres that are fine with the frequency response but def know there are others that need the added base.

I’m wondering if there’s an automatic switching box that would allow 1 sub to be used with 2 systems (HT and music).

I will, of course, defer to others who have actually heard them.  :)