$1500 for a whole system, budding audiophile

Just imagine you're in high school now. You're going to budget $1500 on Amplification, speakers, and a source/ sources. Where do you spend your money to get you through college and an entry level job? Let's assume you have the computer covered and not include cables or headphones in the budget. New? Vintage? Mix of both?
128x128patrickrealtor76

Showing 3 responses by mesch

Sufen makes many good points. Many 1st year college students live in dorm, then move out to apartment. Either way space issue and the ability to get the most from a $1500 system is difficult. Another issue is that many other associates one makes in college lack the appreciation/respect due such a system.

To the question:
I would purchase a high quality late model integrated amp used. Amplification is a mature science. A quality one can last through several speaker upgrades. A quality used amp at $700-$800 would well serve a $1500 system today and a $2500 system later. Spend ~50% budget here.

There are many high quality budget speakers available. Price ranging from the Pioneer SP-22 at $130, to Warfdale 10.1 at $350, to B&W 685 at $650, new. AS speakers tend to establish the sound character of a system to a greater extent than other components, and a young budding audiophile likely doesn't yet know what sound characteristics he/she like most, I would not allocate much over 25% of 1st system budget to speakers. I would look at used, dealer demo, or new. One thought, buy the Pioneers now, they are special for the money, save the ~$250, use them as reference when auditioning more expensive speakers. If they were to get damaged, not as great a loss.

Purchase A DAC with the remaining 25% budget. Can serve both a disk player and computer as server. Many older used DACs are great, the weak link being the USB/SPdif conversion. Many new budget USB/SPDIF converters are available to upgrade this function. I would buy used here also as digital products suffer the most severe price drop once purchased. Would need a DAC with 2 SPDIF inputs if using USB converter and a disk player as transport.

I read your post as a query for more general advise than for specific product recommendations . I am hesitant to recommend specific products as there are far more that I have not experienced, than I have. I great system can be had for $1500. I have had great luck shopping here on AG. Buy from those with good feedback, know value of product.

As a side, I recently listened to the Pioneer SP-22 coupled to the NAD D3020 amp/DAC driven by my Macbook pro with inexpensive cables. Sounded wonderful for $650.
Check out Music Direct online. Currently have several brands on sale. Focal speakers, Marantz integrateds, iFi components, Musical Fidelity. Just received catalog and thought of your post, not affiliated.