100v,115v versus 230v

Some audio technicians/ enthusiasts claiming that, high end audio equipment performs much better european 220/230v even 240 UK  voltage if that's the case why USA 110V / 120 volt AC ?
128x128sabih
It is becaurse you only use half the current in 220-240V hifi. Watt is watt no matter where you are. So if a amplifier is 220W it only uses 1 Amp. current in europe, but 2 Amp. in the US. So it is twice as hard on the internal of the amp. and there is more heat that needs to get away from the unit.

230V or 110V is just as dangerous. You can die from more than 51V 0,03 Amp.here in europe. Yes, someone even died from at battery 9V. He put his tung on a new battery......
I agree with you that watts are watts no matter what the voltage is. But the key thing is that in the US you guys are limited to about 1,800W out of one of your sockets, but in Europe we can get 3,000W from one.

This might make a difference to a big muscle power amp, being able to draw a lot more power out of the wall might enable it to sound better. Might. 
a few observations

millercarbon  'the US is really 240v but you get 110v in your wall.
??eerrrrgh.  In UK the local substations get 7kV but it doesn't mean that is in your wall.
But yes, good contact with 220v is quite a jolt.  I know from when it was 240v and have been very careful since then.

True your power amp probably runs on 400v rails and just transforms to that from whatever it feeds on.  But an easier transformation if you start with 220v and easier to engineer distortion out.

For Glupson:  UK was 240v until 2003 when it harmonised with EU at 220v.
The French had been on 110v up to that date and changed instantaneously to 220v.  But to this day they still use the mickey-mouse thin plastic plugs and sockets AND HOUSE WIRING!!! designed to handle 110v.  This would be an issue in the USA also - if it were to move to 220v, the kit would need upgrading.

Does anyone remember using Krell 200KRS in the US?  I have these now 35 years old and refurbished.  Full Class A, they are said to draw 1.2kW per side.  On 110v ???your wall would catch fire.

tednep
... you only use half the current in 220-240V hifi. Watt is watt no matter where you are. So if a amplifier is 220W it only uses 1 Amp. current in europe, but 2 Amp. in the US. So it is twice as hard on the internal of the amp ...
That is mistaken. A given appliance will draw the same current at 240VAC as it does at 120VAC - the load of the appliance doesn’t magically change because you’ve changed its input voltage.

P = I x E
P = Watts, Volt-amps.
I = Current, Amps.
E = Voltage.

Will a 240V 1500 watt space heater connected to a 240V source produce more heat than a 120V 1500 watt space heater connected to a 120V source? No.....
Current, amps?
P / E = ?
1500W / 120V = 12.5 amps.
1500W / 240V = 6.25 amps.

A 120V 20 amp branch circuit is capable of supplying up to 2400 watts continuous power. The same branch circuit will supply short spurts, draws, of well over 2400 watts all day long without causing the 20 amp circuit breaker to trip open. If voltage drop is an issue, or concern, use #10awg branch circuit wiring.

Unless a piece of equipment, like a monster power amp, consumes more than 1440 volt-amperes continuous power it’s a violation of US electrical safety code to install a 240V branch circuit and receptacle in a US residential dwelling.

I doubt any manufacturer builds a home consumer sold amp for use in the US that is rated at more than 1440 watts, volt-amps, continuous power. They know the power cord plug needs to have a 5-15P 120V 15 amp plug if they want to sell the amp to a US home consumer.

NEC 210.6
(A) Occupancy Limitations. In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest room suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following:

(2) Cord-and- plug connected loads 1440 volt-amperes, nominal or less or less than 1/4 hp.

Jim.