100v,115v versus 230v

Some audio technicians/ enthusiasts claiming that, high end audio equipment performs much better european 220/230v even 240 UK  voltage if that's the case why USA 110V / 120 volt AC ?
128x128sabih

Showing 1 response by minorl

Millercarbon was correct.

Also, the feed from the pole top transformer to a home in the USA is 240 Volts.  You actually get two 120 volt feeds at different phase angles.  Three phase systems A,B,C phases are what is generated and transmitted. This is world wide.  The higher the transmission line voltage the less power losses and consequently the less costs in power generation/transmission/delivery.

Every home in America has 240 volts at the service panel.  One can run 240 volt to outlets if desired.  The power utility does not have to do anything.  This is all from within the home.

Clear?  USA had invested early into 120 Volts and it is/was too expensive at such a late date to change the appliance/light/equipment standard to 240 Volts.  but, remember, there is 240 Volts available in all homes in the USA.  

Now, audio equipment takes whatever input operating voltage and converters it to DC voltage via the internal power supply.  That typically includes transformers taking the 240 Volts or 120 Volts input and converting it to whatever lower/higher AC voltage is needed before converting to DC Volts within the power supply.  Rectify the AC Volts and Viola, you have DC.  Add some filtering and regulation and there is your power supply.

my point, is that as long as the input voltage is adequate and the power supply is correct, there should be absolutely no difference in sound quality.  I say should be.  There will be differences if the lower input voltage and power isn't up to snuff.

Power = V x I = (V x V)/R = (I x I x R).  The power input is exactly the same whether you are using 120 Volts or 240 Volts.  The difference is the current draw changes to make sure the power stays the same.

So as long as the voltage stays fixed (basically an infinite bus), the current will change so that the power input remains fixed.  If the power fluctuates with current draw, the something is wrong.

If you take the same piece of equipment and change the input transformer so that in one case it takes in 120 Volts and the transformer/power supply in the equipment converts that voltage to the necessary internal power supply voltage and in the other case install a transformer that takes in 240 Volts and does the same thing.  There is no way there should be any difference in the operating characteristics and sound of that equipment.  Power is power. Volts are Volts and Current is Current.  

for high power amps, yes, using 240 Volts is better just because of reduces line losses on the power line and you won't need huge power cables at 240 Volts.

So, take 1000 Watts power as the requirement.  P = V x I remember?

If the line voltage is 120 Volts, then the current would be 8.33 Amps.  If the line voltage is 240 Volts, then the current would be 4.17 Amps.  So you see the savings is in the size of the conductors because the current draw is lower you don't need massive conductors when using higher voltage.  Also, keep in mind that Power and Voltage have no phase angle.  The current in this case has the phase angle based on the impedance of the circuitry.  So, with 120 Volts or 240 Volts connecting to the same circuitry, it will have the same phase angle for the current.  

Remember P= I x I x R.  make R Z (impedance) associated with Resistance, Inductance and Capacitance impedance and the power and voltage remains fixed and guess what?  The current now has a phase angle.

Lots of technical mumbo jumbo, but the point for those that care, is that as long as the conductors are up to snuff and the power supply is designed correctly, the input voltage doesn't matter.  Power is power, Volts are Volts and Current is Current.

One other point.  Safety.  using 120 Volts, you will receive a nasty shock, but won't die unless you are standing in water or some such and can't get away from it.  In the USA 60 cycles per second is just slow enough that when the cycles reach zero, guess what?  you can get away.  Unless you are standing in water and can't get away.  In other countries, 240 Volts at 50 cycles per second is very nasty and that presents an altogether different and serious problem.  240 Volts is no joke.

enjoy