Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Learsfool, I'm glad you found the time to join us. That was a very good article, I liked the way it began with a comparison to life; "We speak and move spontaneously everyday with no real struggle". We improvise every day, (it's called living).

After reading this article, I related it to my friend. Although he had been a professional musician almost all his life, he was a sideman with the greats we have talked about; not until he shook off all those shackles (playing this way, or that way) did he really come into his own. I saw the transformation, it's called faith; when a musician releases what's inside of him, that he didn't know existed, that's when the fantastic music flows. Of course this only comes after the musician has learned: tonality, harmony, song forms, time and rhythm, just to name some of the elements of music.

I recently purchased some fantastic music that has a long story to go along with it. I first heard this music a long time ago, and didn't think much of it. Not until I saw the movie it was created for did the music hit me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKQdp6iGUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjURPebrbrY

This music penetrates into the depths of how much one person can love another.

Enjoy the music.
Hi Orpheus - yes, I have seen that film, it's a good one, and of course a great soundtrack. I think we perhaps may have discussed it on this thread a long time ago??
Has this thread died? It recently disappeared from my list, and I had some trouble finding it. I am surprised that O-10 and Rok have not kept it going!

Anyway, I was just going to share with you guys who don't believe that a great many classical musicians are audiophiles that there was recently published a funny list of 10 Highly Annoying Things That Only Classical Musicians Do (don't have the link, sorry!), and number 6 on the list was that they are constantly talking about and criticizing their hi-fi systems. The commentary said that they should get over themselves and listen to an iPod like everyone else.

Learsfool, I am certainly not among that group; as a matter of fact, I thought classical sounded like noise until I heard it on a high end rig: Sota Star Saphire, Koetsu, ARC, and Theil speakers. Now I seem to like it best in movies (movie theaters have incredible sound systems) Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtN3lpI2f4

You can start this thread back up by submitting some of the best classical, or best jazz in horns. You never know who might drop back in.

Enjoy the music.

After doing nothing but complain about current jazz releases, I discovered something I like; it's relaxed and easy to listen to. While many current artists require the listener to work, "Harry Allen" makes no such demands; although he's only 48, his music is reminiscent of live sets I enjoyed at clubs many years ago, the city skyline on the album cover sets the stage perfectly.

The title of the album is "For George, Cole, And Duke", and there isn't one weak cut; once you settle back, relax, and get in this groove, before you know it, the last cut will have played, and you've just gotten comfortable.

Although I'm unfamiliar with the artists, I like the music, and that's all that matters. This is too precious a gem not to share with fellow "aficionados", that's why I'm posting this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4M8a1z24RI

Enjoy the music.