Great systems in butt-ugly rooms

I know I'm not the only one thinking this, but there are
some ass ugly rooms housing some of these great systems.
We may have great ears, but we have no sense when it comes
to making our rooms look good, with a few exceptions, of course. Any comments?
JP
jorgeparrapuppy
i may have forgotten something in my original post:
my room isn't a crytal cathedral with ornate bronze thingamajiggs
or anything fancy. It's 13x17 with 8'ceilings
with a soft and plush sectional near the middle.
But it loooks good and the system sounds great.
And though the walls aren't pink, the chicks that come
over (for obvious reasons) love lighting my candles
for me.
There are many home built these days with "open" floorplans - which sometimes translates into one huge room in the back of the house, two stories high, with the kitchen, dining, and 'family-room' area all in one. Add that to a design style that insists on marble and wood floors, and hard walls and ceilings . . . you get a house that's so reverberant that it's fatiguing to be inside it . . . and I'm not talking about hi-fi. The mere clanking of dinner plates makes one want hearing protection.

I think this type of acoustical blunder is unacceptable, and most here would agree. So why is it okay when we do the same aesthetically, in the name of acoustics? It isn't actually very difficult to arrange a hi-fi system so it's at least okay to look at . . . but it does take some imagination.
Kirkus,

Our remodel is going towards that direction with most of what we called a "public space", areas where the family hang out most of the time, i.e. kitchen, living room, and work area. However, the dedicated listening room will basically be a dark box, no windows, just an entrance into the room. We are taking out a major loan to do this, which pushes us further into debt. That means no retirement for me and my wife until we reach 85! But architecture is also a passion of mine. I went through six years of schooling (which I enjoyed thoroughly). So this is also a life-long dream for me.

But I think everyone's vision of what is aesthetically pleasing is different. And as you can see in this thread, aesthetics could also be low on many people's priorities as well. So, to each his own.

FrankC
As far as WAF goes, surely a man is happier if there is more often room to accomodate his gear, even when butt-ugly, rather than not.
Lest there be no confusion here - it is first and foremost about the music but when it is possible to enhance the music with "designer surroundings" (whatever that conjures up in your mind) it is a double whammy benefit. Can't afford the fancy room? - nobody cares - it's your excursion. If I sounded snobby a few posts ago - my apologies. Not intended at all. Just making the point that when the room is pleasing it just adds to the pleasure of the experience.