Earthquake Protection

No, not Earthquake brand products.

Earthquakes that leave your precious audio gear (and everything else in your home) in a pile of rubble on the floor.

Many of us live in an active earthquake zone...West Coast, Alaska, Hawaii, Rockies, parts of the middle U.S., other areas.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/seismicity/

So, any ideas on how to secure the audio rack to the wall? How to secure the components to the rack? How to secure the speakers? And not impede the isolation?

Maybe invent something similar to this strap device using that double-stick foam tape that has to be cut through to remove and cable ties, or what?....
More ideas
And more

Ken
shel2n
Good advice Marco, the East Bay just got hit with a 4.2 this morning, good reminder that the Hayward fault is due for a big one. They said if the big one does hit, it would be the most disasterous event in US history since the Bay area is now home to several million people who will somehow be affected.

I grew up in Chicago and remember watching the game in '89 when a big one hit SF. I thought, those idiotics, they know that area is earthquake prone, why are they living there? Well here I am in the Bay Area, 10 years of enjoyment, all I can say, this nice weather better be worth it when it hits.

Haven't done anything to secure my gear, I figured it's a good excuse to the wife to get new stuff when it happens.
Yes, the BIG ONE will be devastating. It'll happen; we just don't know when. The downtown of the Victorian town I live in will be one big used brick sale.

But, how about the shakers that just unload your shelves and crack plaster? Those are more common and likely to hit every few years. It is very smart to secure bookcases, china cabinets, home electronics including computers, and other items that will fall. Earthquake insurance ranges from expensive to unaffordable with huge deductables up to 25% of the policy limit.

And then there are lahars for some of us. I can see two volcanoes from home. When the lava melts the glacier and the flash flood of mud comes down the valleys, and the lahar warning sirens sound, head for the hills (yes, there are lahar warning sirens and signs for lahar evacuation routes). I don't live in a lahar zone...but we are in a tsunami danger zone. Sure is a fine place to live in all other regards, tho...no hurricanes, moderate weather winter and summer, no poisonous snakes or lizards, no 'gators, eagles fly by the windows nearly every day, great folks....ah ain't movin'.
Shel2n

Let me hear you, now
I don't know, I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow.

[Jimmy Buffett -- "VOLCANO"]