"What's Your Best Price?"

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I have experienced an increasing number of buyers lately whose only question is "what's your best price?" in response to an "OBO" listing. Should such moronic inquiries simply be ignored -- or is there an appropriate/productive response?
jeffreybowman2k
I agree with Sgood51-

I know what I'd like to get, but I also know what I'll take to sell it "right now" and that price may be different at different times. If I've just listed the item, my best price is going to be close to what I've listed it at. If the item has been for sale for a couple of weeks, my best price will be a little lower.

It all depends on how badly I want to sell the item at that moment.
If they don't have any questions about the product itself, I find it hard to take them seriously. When their only concern is price, I assume they are fishing for things they can pick up cheap and turn quickly. That's O.K. because I too am fishing when I advertise.
Personally, I would suggest you follow Marco's advice. You've made the first move and paid $6.00 to do so. Now it's time for them to demonstrate some interest or commitment besides a mass produced "What's your best price?" I can imagine some guy sending out 250 of those a day.
I typically put the words "best pricers look elsewhere" in the body of my listing.
Sorry you think its 'moronic'. If you can't think of an acceptable response, then don't ever consider moving into sales.

The obvious answer...give your best price. What else would you expect to do? It's called negotiating. Sometimes I make an offer for an OBO item, and sometimes I ask for a best price. Depends on my level of interest in the item and the asking price. The combo of the two determines which way I go.