Too good to be true?

I have a pawn shop a few miles from my home. It is just a dingy old place. They have recently aquired some REALLY high end audio equipment, $6-7000 worth of speakers and amps. This guy doesn't know a woofer from his elbow. Is there a place I can go and run the serial #'s somewhere and find out if this stuff has been stolen from someone? For that matter, buying on a site like e-bay? How do you know what your getting isn't someone elses loss?
sirsnapalot
most jurisdiction require the pawn shops to submit serial numbers to the police department. this should provide you with some protection. this however assumes that the victim submitted the serial number to the police at the time of theft. By the way when my house was burgalrized they ignored the highend equipment. Appearently they did not know what it was.
OK I found the book.

The Professional Fence
by Carl B Klockars
Published by New York Free Press (1974)
Originally presented as the author's thesis, University of Pennsylvania.

A very interesting read, even if you can't stomach the conclusions.
I thought the broken windows theory was based on the benefits of repairing and keeping up neighborhoods as a crime deterrent. Oh yeah, that would be bad for the economy.
El. I stand corrected. You did not propose the theory, you merely described it. I'll respond further off thread, because I don't want to digress any further into a non-audio topic.