XM now sounds worse

I've recently noticed that when listening to XM Radio, the sound on XM Classics and some other stations is thin, distorted slightly on the high end. I think that while the sound has'nt always been great, it used to sound better than this. I can't figure if it's my system or XM has lowered sound quality by adding more stations.

My setup is kinda strange: The Polk XM Tuner is hooked to a Ramsey FM100 FM Transmitter to brodcast (thru my house only) to my various tuners. Now I do know that this is an 'extra processing step' - but this USED to sound great. Could Lightning possibly mess up the sound in the Polk Tuner without totally frying it? It does'nt make any sense because it used to sound good. I have several different systems in my home, and receiving XM in this manner NOW sounds bad in All my various systems, whereas it used to sound good. So I don't think it is a bad receiving tuner, or the fact I have too much equipment plugged in - like I said it used to sound good, but now....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
joeylawn36111
I have a Polk XM Tuner routed into a Benchmark DAC-1 and have not noticed any difference in sound quality; and listen quite a bit. Completely agree on the difference in sound quality of various XM stations. Jazz, Instrumental & Classical stations are much closer to the digital quality sound advertised than any of the rock, popular, country stations, ect. Interesting comments above on bandwidth allocation to the more popular channels and the requirement of bandwidth for voice versus instrumental; although I always felt that on commerical FM Jazz & Classical stations always sounded lights years ahead of other formats in terms of sound quality, and XM has the same effect.
It's just my opinion, but I think it's all about compression and sample rate of what gets transmitted to the satellite.

There is a huge difference in listening to the exact same recording on CD and then hearing it on either of the satellite services. My opinion is that it's a limitation, (either purposely, or not) of the technology at this stage. I suspect they could make it better, but why, when it's mostly us audio-geeks who even notice the difference.
I also notice a difference in sound quality between different channels. The other thing I notice is in my car when some channels drop out I can switch to a more popular channel and it will not drop out. This may have something to do with bandwidth. I listen to 7 (70's), 70 Real Jazz) , 71 Watercolors) If I listen to the heart (23) it drops out more offten on the road.

Mark