Future of this hobby?

I took some time off work, and I read the Jan edition of Stereophile cover to cover today. In the Letters to Editor section people were writing in about what will happen to this hobby as the target audience ages and the younger generation doesn't jump on board. I am 28, and I fear that the concern is definitely real. My friends, fiance, and people my age are in love with their Ipods. That is great that they are into listening to music in whatever manner they choose. My friends and fiance all agree that my stereo sounds good but also feel that stereos bought at discount retail stores fill the same need and have no interest in spending the extra cash.

Also, I went to a couple of Chicago Audio Society meetings to see if I could make some friends that shared my interest. I felt a little out of place though when I was the only person in the 20-30 demographic out of a population of forty people. Further, there may have been one or two people in their late 30s and probably half of the people were over 50.

The only conclusion I can reach on this subject is that lesser products are meeting the needs of people my age, and I don't forsee the younger generations waking up one day and deciding to sell the MP3 players so that they can buy high-end turntables. In 20-30 years as much of the current audiophile population ages and some move into assisted living or other arrangements where these elaborate and space consuming set-ups are no longer wanted or needed, the few remaining young people that actually care will be able to take ownership of kick-ass systems at steep discounts. I along with any kids that I have will have our cash ready in anticipation of that day.
firecracker_77
Post removed 
tvad is right. what we are witnessing is a cultural change, even within the ever shrinking hi end hobby.
I had a twenty dollar mono record player that I started on over 40 years ago. The thing is that, while technology changes, I also played pinball and watched television--and in a way these were the 'amusements' available for teenagers at the time. I would have killed for a transistor radio (portable--eventually got one) and have in the intervening years bought walkmans, discmans, atari, computer chess standalone games, not to mention a bunch of computers. Im still an audiophile primarily and none of these other activities made me want to quit. My 13 year old has and does all the typical stuff, including audio (but not ipod) and she still uses a boombox I bought her when she was 5 (and didn't know what it was). I agree the hobby is changing, and probably not for the better, but it's not at all an easy thing to predict what will happen as time goes by.
If the high end is truly valid because it honestly offers the best in musical reproduction, then future generations will seek it out for that one, simple reason.
The "young" don't care about sound quality. True and true when I was young. I did not care then either. I care now. What I expect is the current young will also care about sound quality when they're no longer young. And they'll be saying about the new young then, what we're saying about them now. And on and on and on.