Which computer DVDrom is the best for ripping?

My drive is about to die so it's time to get another DVDrom. So which one is the best for ripping? or it doesn't matter at all?

cheers,
kschiu
"Blindjim is however entirely correct in that good ripping software is key"

Why? I do not understand this beyond having damaged discs. If you are getting the information to file, isn't it all the same whether you use eac or windows media player or whatever?
My input was based upon my own trials.. using various burn engines, software, and optical drives.

here's the thing, the posts above reflect very good answers and exp. Choose to either try these measures for yourself, or not. ripping even brand new discs can be a problem at times with almost any software or drive. Drop outs can result from nicks or scratches you may not be able to see.

...and then there's the q about just how meticulous each software is, with how many passes, samples, it uses to define a correct burn.

The EAC ware simply makes better copies than do most other rip & burn ware do. It's simple. by how much, or how much time and effort you wish to invest into seeing for yourself is key.

The drive, if new, and of decent build & brand name is not as Key. I'd however stay away from off brands for $20-$30 bucks is all. Combo drives are the deal now anyhow. RAM DVD isn't the most popular, but if you have a Panasonic DVD player, then it's a good choice for you presently.

Good luck.
I just finished testing based on my 2 samsung DVD burner ... and the files are identical (Verified by FCIV). So I think for ripping it doesn't matter. I do recall EAC complains about one of my DVD burner having a buffer. I guess it only affects burning.

thanks to all!
What you want is any burner that

1) does not buffer audio;
2) has the accurate stream feature; and
3) has c2 error correction.

I can't confirm that there really is a difference but at least in theory the buffer is the biggest potential problem. EAC has a mode to compensate for this.
By the way you should confirm that the actual model you are buying has the above features with a little googling, but I highly recommend LG super multi drives. I have never checked for the above features but they are quiet, fast, and have a nice solid tray. I use them when I build high-end computers for people.