Sound card suggestions

I have recently bought a Bryston intergrated amp with a built in dac, toslink and spdif connections only. At this moment i am using a Macbook pro with an Apogee Duet connected to the standard rca inputs.

I am currently buiding a pc to use as my music server to utilize the dac in the amp which should be alot better than the duet.

I am looking for a good sound card with s/pdif output for stereo playback. Most sound cards are geared more for gaming and surround sound which is of no use for me. I've seen some professional card on the market, but none with spdif output. Cost is not really a factor. I will probably sell the mac and duet to pay for the card.

Another question.

Which is better s/pdif or toslink.
mwilliams
I suggest you look at a USB converter if two channel is your only concern. Something like Bel Canto's 24/96 unit or Empirical Audio's Off-Ramp.
I've heard of those who have dropped some long green on such an effort, and gone to a Links card for just such purposes… getting the digi info out to a DAC, Transporter, Duet, etc.

I should also think there is some greater good to be had in the spending, but I wonder just how much is that greater good?

I’ve gone USB out to a DAC, TOS too, and Coax (BNC)…. Analog as well. Bought USB sound cards and fed them into the same DAC mood1 mentioned, BC e one DAC3.

IMO, the best sound I’ve been able to develop has come by way of a PCI M Audio 192 ‘Audiophile’ 24/96 card in my oldest Dell desktop using xp home sp 3 + J river Media Center 12… via a Stereovox xv2 cable to the Bel Canto DAC 3, then into the balance of my system (s)..’

The resultant sound is far superior to my previous Sony XA 777es, and several of the newer CDPs I’ve heard about my area… Cary, Wadia, Cambridge, etc…. or as good.

So I suppose one can raise the bar significantly via the output card by spending far far more than the couple hundred bucks an M Audio card costs… but the thing for consideration here is then what?

I think the limiting factor, bottle neck, or main item will then be the DAC being fed.

If I had an INT with an onboard dac all in one sort of deal, I don’t think I’d spend a ton on a card to get a signal into that DAC so it can then do it’s job…. The ONLY consideration I’d have there is IF no de-jitterizing is going on in the INT DAC… maybe.

The one’s I’ve seen using the Linx cards were feeding DACs which ran $4k & up.
Thanks guys

It is amazing how much info on this subject there is. once i read your suggestions i started search other forums. I even talked to steve at Empirical for a long time.

The empirical and the Bel Canto seem to be the way to go. From what i have been reading it seems that a lap top is the trick. low noise and such. Since i have 3 of them i would not have to build anything. 2 are PC and 1 is a mac It's all a free software thing after that.

Thx again

Matt