How to configure a PC for outstanding Audio?

How do you configure a PC for outstanding Analog Audio Output?

I am about to invest in a new PC (preferrably a standalone, but perhaps a laptop with external monitor or a desktop)and would love to have the capability to use it to connect to my hybrid NAD/McIntosh/ADS audio/HT system.

Thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark
mwilliford
Either have an HTPC built, build it yourself or buy a pre-built model.

There are so many different ways to get what you want. Just depends on what you want to spend.

The newer Dell HTPCs come with both digital coax and optical outputs.You could use one to connect directly to an outboard Dac and one to your HT processor or receiver.

You could also buy a cheap ASUS Netbook with a solid state HD for $400 and use it for audio with a USB DAC or converter. For HTPC all out assault I would use a desktop because of the expandability.

Some guys use high performance sound /video cards.

You can do searches in the forums here and find most of the answers to your questions.

While you're at it install Windows 7 RC OS. Looks like MS has knocked a home run with this one! You can build a serious HT/ audio system around this OS!

With the newer OS, there's no special configuring to be done. It is plug n play.

It makes Blu ray native to Windows as wells as gives you a ton of options for hooking up your displays, flat panels,front projectors.

If you can find an HTPC with true HDMI output(transfers video and audio) that would be a good start!
I assume HTPC means Home Theater PC? Sorry for being such a novice. Is Windows 7 shipping in PCs now or is it still a Beta?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mark
"While you're at it install Windows 7 RC OS. Looks like MS has knocked a home run with this one! You can build a serious HT/ audio system around this OS!"

GMood1- I understand your enthusiasm, but having used every windows iteration ever issued, I gotta say they have to come a long way to escape the clunky, dreary architecture they seem burdened with.

I used to make fun of the Mac guys, joking that they were like religious zealots. After using OSX for the past year, I don't joke them anymore.