future of 2 channel CD sound

Since everyone agrees Cds have limited sound quality, do you think
that there will be a new high definition 2 channel audio format? like a hdtv for 2 channels?

I know there is sacd and hd dvd, but people here don't seem so interested in it, or its priced too expensively.
samuellaudio
Two channel is here to stay, but I think CDs future is limited. Distributors will have to figure out a formula to make a go of it in the world of downloads for CDs to disappear.

I have to agree about recording and production values. Breaks my heart when a great performance is compromised by a lousy production job. Interesting that musicians who take such care in terms of their performance "allow" engineers and mastering process to mung up their work. John Meyer seems to be a smart and talented guy, but his recordings are some of the worst in terms of over saturation.
Agree with John that a high definition music server is on the horizon. However, I would suspect the recording and mastering process would still play a large part in the sound, and unless something changes, the variability will still be there - you will just hear it more clearly.
will be very interesting to see what happens in the
years ahead. i agree with others in that two channel
will be around long after all of us are.

FWIW, i did an extensive blind test with a Livingston Taylor
CD/DVDA -- "Ink". Not necessarily my preferred listening,
but very well mastered/cut, both, near as I can tell.
Was a total wash. The CD was 'equal to' the DVDA, 30
samplings later. The DVDA was fed from an Arcam 137,
the CD from a Mac Mini to Bel Canto DAC3 > M300s.

who knows? in any case, all this stuff is interesting.

( I'll still spend all my extra $ on speakers though. :-) )
The future of high end audio is on disk, not disc. Format wars are done as Bluray is the last physical media. Everything will be downloads or vinyl. Downloads are already available as 24 bit / 96 KHz files. More should follow.

Chris

Founder
ComputerAudiophile.com