iTunes+MacBook+Built-in optical digital output

I have tried 24bit/96KHz SPDIF output out of MacBook's optical digital output with non-compressed AIFF mode saved music. Normal set up of optical digital output is 44.1KHz/16bit, though using MIDI setup in Utility folder, it could be set to 24bit/96KHz digital output mode. Thus MacBook tunrs to be a genuine 24bit/96KHz digital CD transport. Then hooking an external DAC (24bit/96KHz) to this port through an optical cable, MacBook and an external DAC will play a role of a high end CD player. Furthermore, when inserting a upsampling device from 96KHz to 192KHz, then it would give a higher resosution audio than usual.

Is there anyone who has experienced the same as described ?

Question is, as compared to a regular CD player with a upsampling DAC externally hooked, MacBook internally upsamples an origianl 16bit/44.1KHz digital audio to 24bit/96KHz. I am curious on the argorhythm to upsample inside Macintosh. Please note that MacBook provides Intel qualified high end audio sound borad by Sigmatel, which is compatible with Windows PC.

Any comments are welcome.

I do not hear any big difference between this and the sound out of a regular CD player such as Accuphase DP-85, Northstart 192MK2 with an external DAC (both are 44.1KHz/16bit)
fwt34641
Are you sure the mac upsamples or is it just that it can handle 24/96 if that is what it is presented.

tunrs to be a genuine 24bit/96KHz digital CD transport. Then hooking an external DAC (24bit/96KHz) to this port through an optical cable, MacBook and an external DAC will play a role of a high end CD player. Furthermore, when inserting a upsampling device from 96KHz to 192KHz, then it would give a higher resosution audio than usual.

I believe you are incorectly equating higher bit rates with better sound. If the original data is 16/44.1K then going up to 24/96 or 24/192 does not increase resolution. There is nothing you can do to increase the resolution beyond this. You change the data and thus change the sound but the resolution cannot increase. Upsampling does not turn it into a high end CD palyers since many DACs and "high end" CD players don't upsample.

BTW the Accuphase and Northstar both upsample
I've been round and round with all the settings you describe ...
and .... as more than one re-masterer has suggested in differentiating
high quality CDs from even DVD-As ... if you can tell the difference in a
bonafide blind testing ordeal, from one to the other, assuming
high quality both, you are just lucky, and you won't repeat those
test results again. ( FWIW, I've lost on 50% of such tests,
over 20 and counting. ) The differences you don't hear are not perceptible,
reliably. I love my Mac MIni server, the convenience, the high
quality sound. Thanks Apple and thanks Bel Canto DAC 3, M300s.
Yep, someone will tell you there's a better DAC. Have fun with the cords,
the mixing, etc. The more you fuss, the better it will sound ... or maybe not. :-)
The MAC definitely upsamples and it is great-sounding. Selected in Utilities/MIDI options. The problem with toslink out of a MAC MINI is the jitter, and Toslink in general for that matter.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio