Speakers small enough for desktop use

Want to begin at the beginning in assembling a stereo system to use around a computer source in a desktop environment in a smaller room. Looking for ideas on what people have found from experience to work well in this situation with the following criteria:

Up to $1K budget (for the speakers that is)
Coherent in the nearfield
Magnetically shielded
Reasonably easy to drive
Decent sonics at lower volumes but able to go somewhat loud
Not overly critical regarding listening angle
OK near wall behind
Don't require a "subwoofer" to sound pleasing (obviously deep bass will be absent and that's fine as long as the speakers are balanced correctly for use alone)
Portable for use in different situations (no in- or on-wall solutions)

I'm not against considering self-powered speakers (at a higher budget if needed), but for now am assuming I'll get some sort of small amp (however probably not flea-powered tubes, more likely a SS switching amp). Pro monitors marketed for recording studio desktop use OK as long as they're intended to be fuller-range and flatter than not. I'm also not decided whether these will be placed directly on the desktop or above it on some sort of stand or wall mounting. Thanks and remember to keep 'em small!
zaikesman
Dan: Looking at an online review of the M-00, they seem like they're intended to be used with the matching subwoofer and that they wouldn't really cut it without. Do you think differently? I'd like to get some semblence of circa 50-60Hz bass out of the monitors themselves.

He who Walketh the Swamp: My brother has a pair of the Super Ones that are several years old, and though I'm not sure how they compare with current production, I was pretty disappointed with the sound at his place, given the reviews (granted, driven by a cheap receiver and CDP with gimmie wires, but placement tweaking on my part didn't help much). I think I need to aim a bit higher to get satisfaction.

Hals_den: I own a pair of ancient Optimus 7's and I know I definitely need to aim higher than that. I was hoping to get an audition of something by Gallo, but my closest dealer doesn't stock the model he says would be most appropriate, only ones he feels are HT-oriented and wouldn't work so well in the nearfield.

Ckorody: Funny you should mention Role. I started this process ahead of schedule, before I've even acquired the new computer and faster connection I'll be needing to make the whole thing go, mainly due to Role's introductory pricing on their new Sampan FTL model, a pair of which are currently breaking-in downstairs on 30-day approval. I'm really fishing for some ideas about what to audition in comparison with these single-driver, folded transmission-line passives, which show a lot of promise although I consider them to be on the expensive side for what they are.
I thought that the NSM was a sealed suspended unit - maybe the new Sampan is different - no doubt the absence of rear ports makes placement easier. I have to say I like my NSM10s - I got a demo pair for half price which took some of the sting out. I have them jammed into the corners of my sailboat cabin.

Highly regarded, though I have not heard them are the EPOS 3 and 5. Very reasonable. Also consider going up a bit in the NHT line - thinking the Classic 2 or 3. And while it sounds like heresy, I got an amazing deal on a refurb set up from Klipsch - two satellites and a nice sub for $70 that does everything a desk unit can do but disappear.

I suppose the other thing to look for is something with a Fostex other then the Noogis.
Look in to Swans M 200 2.0
Google for info. and reviews I have a as new pair for $200 OBM includes shipping to CONUSA only
Ships via FedEx reg. ground!
Era Design 5 would likely serve you well at the top of your price range. I did not listen nearfield, but heard them up against a wall. Magnificent qualities for such a small speaker. I was really impressed by them. On a more limited budget I'd agree with the Swan M200 recommendation for a powered speaker, but they won't have the refinements of the Era pushed by good amplification. The amp in one of mine failed, and I have no means of replacement (anyone know of any)? I have not heard them, but M-Audio makes a series of pro monitors that are self-powered that have pretty good real-world reviews online. Those might be worth checking out. The Era would be at the top of my list.

Marco