Your Music Server

This is a hot topic lately. There’s not a week that goes by without a how to question. My idea is one location and a lot of configurations. I feel it would be a big help to anyone wanting to set-up a Music Server.

Tell us about your Music server. Start at the Server/Computer and end up in your pre-amp. How does its sound compare to your other digital sources?

Mine was simple and easy to put together. The material list: From the local Apple Store I bought the following; Airport Extreme, AirPort Express and a AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables.

I had a PowerMac G5 in a home office 35 feet from my main rig. I also had an old un-used Audio Alchemy DAC. I installed the AirPort Extreme (wireless card) in my G-5, five-minute job. I plugged in the Airport Express (wireless receiver) into a power strip near my main stereo. Then I used the optical to optical cable in the Connection Kit for the connection to the DAC. I had to get the G-5 manual out for my Mac to configure it for Digital Out. The last step was to set-up the wireless connection in the G-5. I followed the instructions for the Airport Express. The whole project maybe 3 hour to do, which includes driving across town to the Mac store.

I had been using iTunes for burning ripped vinyl and CD’s to disc. ITunes found the new network and added a button for selection of source, computer speakers or stereo room.

How does it sound? Right out of the gate it sounded great. I have since changed the DAC to a CAL Alpha tubed DAC. The sound of the Server w/Alpha is very good but in many ways does not even come close to the music that comes out of my Esoteric DV-50. I use the Music Server when I’m reading or doing things around the house. For the present it will not replace my DV-50 but who know the future.

One more thing, when the microwave oven is being used it interrupters the wireless connection and I have to restart the music.
vegasears
Re-ripping is not a problem.

You are kiddin', right? I just started ripping 100 of my 800 CDs and could not imagine doing 40,000 !!!

As for my two music server setups I am right now putting together:

1) Main system:
Macbook 2.0GHz Intel 2Duo (iTunes with files encoded in Apple Lossless)
2 Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD in Macally External Enclosure
Lacie Porsche HD for backup
Wavelength Brick USB DAC
Fi Y pre, Fi Super X, Cain Abby

2) Headphone and media room
Macbook 2.0GHz Intel 2Duo (iTunes with files encoded in Apple Lossless)
2 Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD in Macally External Enclosure
Lacie Porsche HD for backup
Airport Express
Lavry DA10 DAC (also used as headphone amp)
Bottlehead SEX (tube headphone amp)
Sennheiser HD650

Very helpful thread!
restock, LOL...i should have said that I would siimply just use a service that does ripping...it has taken me 3 years to rip my music collection. Doing it again would cause me to go insane!!!!!
- Sony Vaio running SlimServer 6.5
- USB-attached 500GB hard drive and backup 500GB drive
- About 7000 songs ripped mostly to FLAC using EAC eating up about 165GB
- Laptop cabled to a Linksys Wireless G Access Point
- SlimDevices Squeezebox 3 (wireless; no dropout problems at all)
- Marigo Apparition 5.8 s/pdif coax 1.5m
- Audio Note DAC 1.1 sig
- Audioquest Sky .75m RCA ICs
- Onkyo receiver
- Audioquest Rockefeller speaker cables
- Amphion Argon speakers on Atlantis Reference stands

Pretty simple ultimately, very effective imo.
Tboooe, 40,000 songs must be about 3,000 Cds. Most ripping services I see are about $1 a CD.

Ouch!!
Herman..you are right. Thats another reason why I am going to keep my collection as is for a while until a new encoding technology comes along that blows away mp3 @ vbr 256. For now, I will use my Cary 306 to listen critically.