What's the best way to soundproof a room on budget

I'm starting to research ways to reduce sound transmission through a wall since I'll be moving in a few months and my new living space will share one wall with another family. What I am thinking is nailing cork board onto the wall and then covering the cork board with inexpensive foam pyramids. I think I could do thewholewall (8-9 feet high? 14 feet wide) for around $500-$600 dollars going this route. Any suggestions for whats worked for you?
128x128b_limo
Agreed - if you can do an isolated second wall that is a great solution. That option is discussed on the website I gave above. It is a great solution, although not always the easiest and less expensive.

You should also look at the resilient channel solutions, although they can be somewhat complicated to install.
C'mon guys (Dtc, Electroslacker); the man said he's on a budget. No way he's going to rip out and re-build his wall to install staggered studs for $500 - $600! And using resilient clips and/or channels to 'float' the drywall surface works best in new construction.

Trust me B_limo, adding another layer of sheetrock to the existing wall will get you 90% there without extra hassle/expense -- to say nothing of minimizing the 'noise inconvenience time' to your neighbors while you're doing the work ;~)
Nsgach - sorry, just providing ideas. If you do it your self, you can do these projects pretty cheaply. But I do agree that double walls and the like can be expensive if you have to pay someone to do it. In fact, I said that a double wall was not inexpensive. But also, this is not a very big wall.

My first recommendation was dry wall with green glue. Did you read the website I referenced? One level of drywall gives a STC of 40, adding a second level goes to 42, adding a second level with Green Glue goes to 52. Using Green Glue with drywall will do a lot more than just adding drywall. Green Glue is not cheap, but it really is effective. Mass is great, but isolating the surfaces is very efficient. Green Glue does a good job of that, by essentially turning the sound into heat, as I understand it. If you have not used it, you should look into it.

1 Layer of Drywall STC 40
2 Layers of Drywall STC 42
2 Layers of Drywall with Green Glue STC 52
I did check that site Dtc (denver tech center? Im in the springs).
I'm wondering how much green glue you need, and if it would work out, I guess I could ghrow some green glue on the backside of sheetrock and nail it up myself and then pay someone to come spray some texture on the wall and then paint it myself. That shouldn't cost too much.

Another option is to just put green glue in the homeowners ears...
They recommend 2 tubes per 4x8 sheet. Green Glue has their own website with recommendations and pricing. 12 tubes is about $150. It is not cheap, but works better than just using straight dry wall. I used in the ceiling of basement when I finished it for a theater. Really does cut down the sound transmission. There used to be a lot of discussion of sound proofing on AVSform in the Home Theater forum. Not sure how active it is these days, but still lots of good information. Ted White from my previous link used to be active there. That is how I got to his site.