Analytical observations.

From NYT Science article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/science/06sound.html?_r=1&ref=science
siddh
The article makes some interesting points about acoustics and psycoacoustics... but it does read like one big commercial for Audyssey receivers with digital room correction...
To me, this article makes a statement of how many believe high end audio is achieved; in that, the perception that "proper" staging and imaging requires electronic manipulation and a multiple speaker system. I could not disagree more.
Really Siddh? Did you ever hear such a system properly set up with decent components? Just curious...
The problem is, was, and always will be that when you play back (over loudspeakers) in ANY room, sound that was recorded in another room (call it the PRIMARY acoustical space) you are "mixing", or "blending together" the acoustical properties of the 'recording space' and the 'playback space'. It matters not whether that recording and subsequent playback is done with two, or any number of channels more than two. ("Two, or more than two" because 'two' is the minimum number of source points you need to present the equivalent of an audio parallax or depth perception to the two ears.) You can demonstrate this clearly and easily by putting an ear plug in one ear while listening to a 2 (or more) channel system,

But the problem of the "extra" acoustics of the playback space remains. And so far, there is still only one way (that doesn't involve digital manipulation) to get the full range, recorded event, unadulterated, into the listener's brain, and that would be through headphones PLAYING A BINAURALLY RECORDED SOURCE. For those of you who don't know what that is, Google: > binaural recording <

That is the ONLY way to provide the listener with the "original acoustical event" as it would have been heard in the original recording space. Think of it this way: You're sitting in front of the performer(s) in the room/hall/club/studio, and a microphone has been placed over each of your ears. A simple 2-channel recording is made, and now you listen to the playback over a pair of headphones in place of the two microphones. If you've ever experienced 'Binaural Sound', you know it's the ultimate (reproduced) sonic experience. Remember, I said, "to get the full range, recorded event, unadulterated, into the listener's brain" ;--)