How to level match when comparing components?

Simple question-

When you are trying to compare components, say two CD players, it is often difficult to evaluate them effectively unless you can level match the volume levels pretty closely while A-B'ing them back and forth.

What is the simplest way to do this with a reasonable level of accuracy?
mekong56
The OP asked a simple question. The answer pink noise and a db meter.
He/she is not asking whether one should be analytic or emotional regarding component comparisons or what the requisite period of time for a valid comparison.

And (s)he was answered, and it turned into a more interesting discussion. The direction of the discussion is entirely pertinent to the direction of his question. What's the problem?
You cannot level match, unless you are picking a specific frequency, typically 1000 HZ. Music is not so simple. I use a verity of equalizations which are stored in memory and the perceived level changes with each one. Therefore, I agree that long term listening is essential to "evaluate them correctly", which was in fact the original posters declared goal.
All good discussion!

While I would agree that maybe it is not the most effective way to judge on the whole the difference between components, quick a/b'ing can clearly demonstrate differences in frequency extension at both extremes, imaging, and tonality. Also agreed that more thorough conclusions can be drawn by living with a component for several weeks and then switching components in a non A/B manner.

Is there a good pink noise generating test disc out there to help with this?
Is there a good pink noise generating test disc out there to help with this?

Stereophile's test discs have pink noise.

You can also download a file from the Internet for free like those available here and other places. If you only have a CD player, download it and rip a CD from the file.