On one leg or two legs?

If you install two dedication circuits, would you install both breakers on the same leg or one on each? and why?
houstonreef
01-23-09: Houstonreef
Yes, That is the wire.
Houstonreef,
You cannot use portable Cord for fixed branch circuit wiring.... It is not approved by UL or NEC for such use.

01-23-09: Houstonreef
What kind of wire do you recommend?

It all depends on your circumstances as well as what your local governing authority allows. The electrician will advice you what will meet the code in your area.

If allowed for your wiring situation my first choice would be NM-B cable. I would also use plastic rough-in boxes.

Second choice would be MC cable with aluminum armor.

At any rate tell the electrician you want 120V dedicated branch circuits.

Dedicated branch circuit?
A 120V branch circuit that consists of;
(1) hot conductor
(1) neutral conductor
(1) safety equipment grounding conductor.

Make sure each dedicated branch circuit has its own NM-B cable or MC cable.
Do not combine dedicated circuits in the same cable or raceway, (conduit).

Tell him you want solid core copper wire #12 awg minimum. If the branch circuits are long move up to #10 awg solid copper wire.

And for the reasons Gs5556 pointed out in his post the length of the dedicated branch circuits should be the same. At least as close as possible in length.

Terminate both dedicated branch circuits on the same leg in the electrical panel.
The length of dedicated ckts, one to the other, is superfluous. Arbitrary. Only really extensive runs of #12 romex (which is likely what will be used, unless otherwise specified) need to be addressed by increasing the wire gauge a step up.

This is not a common circumstance however. Even huge homes, or multi story homes, have additional sub fed panels these days, thus reducing the lengths of runs required. And thereby keeping the gauge of wire accordingly employed.

Commercial & industrial applications can vary some here, but residential installations seldom if ever need to address voltage drop issues by up scaling the wire type being used.

You can request the use of shielded cabling to further remove the ckt from ancillary or spurious artifacts… adjacent EMF, IHF, IM, etc. Again, I think this is overkill. If the runs do encompass higher current carrying supply lines, like HVAC, then it would be a more valid consideration… or if you simply wish to throw more $$$ at this… then by all means feel free.

I’d say save your money for conditioning, or other things.
Conductor sizes, load requirements, and max length specs can be found here:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Blindjim,
Just curious.... Why did you spend big bucks for Shunyata Python VX and Shunyata Research Taipan helix Alpha power cords? I believe the wire gauge in the cords is equivelent to #10 awg. For the length of the cords you could of more than likely got by with 16 or 14 ga wire.

Looks like Houstonreef's branch circuit run is only 8' long. #14 awg would be plenty big.... But I would advise him to still use #12 ga.

By the way the ampacity rating for #12 awg cu is 20 amps whether stranded or solid. #10 awg cu is 30 amps, stranded or solid. NEC 2008 Table 310-16, *see 240.4(D)

Check out what this EE has to say about VD and power amp power supplies.