Racquetball isolation platform perfection

Racquetball isolation platform perfection ... and DIY style to boot ! Thought I'd share with you my experiment that turned out working perfectly in my system.
Basically I copied a Ginko Cloud platform using $5 worth of racquetballs from Wal Mart and some 1/2" Birch plywood. I used a specialty grinding stone from a local tool store that makes a perfect 1.5" concave in the wood. Cinched it up in my drill press and drilled it down about 1.5" in from every corner, and went down about 3/8" deep. It's allows the balls to move back and forth by about a half inch, and when the top platform is added the CD player simply " floats " on top. just like an original Ginko. This EASILY bested several different cones I have in my collection, a set of Isonodes, a set of Symposium Rollerblocks, and a innertube isolation platform.

Total cost ? $15.

The bass is the tightest and most defined I have ever had in my current system. It made amazing amounts of good things happen under my Lexicon RT-20.

Try it for yourself, it was a winner in my system.
timtim
Knuckle rapping and raquetballs are sooo 80's....
I thought I was reading a back issue of Audio.
Come on, guys, progress a little, will ya?
04-23-09: Chashas1
Knuckle rapping and raquetballs are sooo 80's....
I thought I was reading a back issue of Audio.
Come on, guys, progress a little, will ya?
you are like Wall Street that thought since they were in 2008 (modern times, the time of information age, etc, etc) they could we-write the fundamentals of finance. You can see where that has brought us today.
You want "progress" for the sake of progress even if it brings hardly anything new to the matter on hand. IMO, that's not progress; it's B.S.
The turntable design has not changed in multiple decades only the quality of materials have. The same old fundamentals apply to its proper design & functioning & I believe the same old tests apply to testing its isolation.
And, I think that you are simply being an antogonist (with a zero contribution to this thread)!
LOL!!! most of my gear is from either the 70s or 80s so I guess I'm just a retro kind of guy.Some people also call this old age.
I guess I will just sit back in my mid century Danish chair and sip some more single malt while I rap my knuckles on the table.

e
Well, sorry bomby, but you are clearly wrong in asserting that turntable design hasn't changed. You must be locked in some time warp.
I'm not meaning to be an antogonist, sorry, but rapping a table has nothing to do with how it will sound. Fremer used to do that long ago, and has now wised up.
And as for your balls, if you like what they do, fine. I had a friend in the early 80's using those, and tennis balls.
Good luck.
04-23-09: Chashas1
Well, sorry bomby, but you are clearly wrong in asserting that turntable design hasn't changed. You must be locked in some time warp.
I'm afraid I differ in this from you. I still say the fundamentals that are used to design a TT have not changed. A TT is a rotation machine & all the physics that apply to rotating machines applies to the TT during its design phase. Yes, the materials used in the TT design have changed over time but the fundamentals have not changed. That's what I wrote in my prev post & that's what I'm writing again.
I'm confident that I'm not in a time-warp but I do think that you are under a mistaken impression.

but rapping a table has nothing to do with how it will sound.
I NEVER said that I knuckle rapped my TT to find out how it would sound. You made this up!
Read my original post again!

And as for your balls, if you like what they do, fine. I had a friend in the early 80's using those, and tennis balls.
Man, you really need reading glasses! I'm not the one using balls! Yeah, I thought about using them but ended up never using them. You need to read the whole thread again & figure out who's been writing what before you make allegations.

I'm not meaning to be an antogonist, sorry
OK. thanks for clarifying.