Racquetball isolation platform perfection

Racquetball isolation platform perfection ... and DIY style to boot ! Thought I'd share with you my experiment that turned out working perfectly in my system.
Basically I copied a Ginko Cloud platform using $5 worth of racquetballs from Wal Mart and some 1/2" Birch plywood. I used a specialty grinding stone from a local tool store that makes a perfect 1.5" concave in the wood. Cinched it up in my drill press and drilled it down about 1.5" in from every corner, and went down about 3/8" deep. It's allows the balls to move back and forth by about a half inch, and when the top platform is added the CD player simply " floats " on top. just like an original Ginko. This EASILY bested several different cones I have in my collection, a set of Isonodes, a set of Symposium Rollerblocks, and a innertube isolation platform.

Total cost ? $15.

The bass is the tightest and most defined I have ever had in my current system. It made amazing amounts of good things happen under my Lexicon RT-20.

Try it for yourself, it was a winner in my system.
timtim
I made something similar under my turntable. Basically my TT sits on a butcher block, then I put 9 squash balls under that, then there's another butcher block floating in a sand box. I didn't route out any cups for them though.

Try the squash balls instead of racquetballs. They flatten down quite a bit more and do not bounce (squash balls are essentially dead). Here's a picture where you can sort of make them out:

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1231696007.jpg

Here's a link to the balls I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Squash-Single-Double-Yellow/dp/B001H0G1AA/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1232559985&sr=1-43

Enjoy,
Bob
Hi Bob,
I considered using different balls, but after doing some research online, I found where a university science and engineering class did a research study on the properties of racquetballs. While this covered literally EVERY property imagineable, it was especially interesting when they studied what happens when a racquetball compresses or bounces. They found, and proved with some sort of seismic looking computer readouts, that the bouncing or compressing is converted almost entirely to heat ..... This is exactly what you want any isolation or coupling system to do ... Convert energy to a non interfering form of energy. This is probably why Gingko has such success with their products. I've tried several different isolation materials ( wood, lead, ect ) and all of them killed my system's dynamics and inner detail.
Just some food for thought.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but was thinking hand balls or squash balls since they are much denser than raquetballs. I was thinking of getting a slap of plexiglass (like gingko uses) and using a hole saw to cut the holes so that the balls would sit stationary. I am glad someone else has tried this and it works. nice
good discussion guys & perfect timing for me! :-) I am in the midst of making a tweak to my TT isolation platform! I've had a sandbox with a "floating" top-plate under TT for the last many yrs but recently felt (after reading some threads on another forum) that I could do even better.
I'm now thinking of isolating the rack shelf from the rack using 3 brass cones. Then, isolating the sandbox from the shelf using another set of 3 brass cones & finally isolating the "floating" top-plate from the sand in the sandbox using large bubbles bubble-wrap.
What do you guys think??

I was also thinking of racquetballs & squashballs - I felt that the racquetballs would be too bouncy hence might not be effective in damping but I'm happy to read from Timtim that they convert all kinetic energy to heat. Timtim, can you please provide the link to that article? thanx!
04-21-09: Emorrisiv
I was thinking of doing the same thing but was thinking hand balls or squash balls since they are much denser than raquetballs.
I *think* that in this case denser would be worse, no? The denser the material, the higher the coupling & the worse the isolation. Racquetballs might be better as they are more full of air - less coupling??
This is fun.

"I *think* that in this case denser would be worse, no? The denser the material, the higher the coupling & the worse the isolation. Racquetballs might be better as they are more full of air - less coupling??"

Could be. I would never claim to be a expert on this subject. Happily it is cheap and easy to experiment with any of these balls, since they all have virtually the same OD and should fit the DIY cloud platform.

Keep the conversation coming.I for one can't learn enough about the couple/Decoupling topic and the hobby in general.

e