The great myth of the XlR

Hi

Is it just me that likes the sound of RCA terminated cables better ?

Pleas dont come with the technical reason why xlr are superior im talking purely about how the sound.

(I know with fully balanced amps and cd players xlr are the way to go.)

In my experince rca cables sounds more musical pure and simple and have a more solid soundstage.

Xlr`s seem less musical but bigger soundstage more transperant but in a bad way.

Eny one that are hearing the same as me ?

thanks
tda2200
First off, it is not a "Myth" as you call it under all conditions.
Second, if your equipment is "Truly" balanced it will sound somewhat better using balanced connections. (Read the Stereophile review on the Ayre AX7e integrated and what the reviewer had to say using single ended vs. balanced with this amp [which is truly balanced]) Just because it has XLR connectors doesn't mean a thing and if it is not truly balanced what you say could be the result-maybe.
Now, I would challege you to have a friend rotate cables in a random order without you knowing which is which and get you to say which is which in your system. Differences are very minute. Our brains can do funny things. Once you've made up your mind, all the evidence in the world will not change it. BTW, it's XLR not XIR
The great myth thing was to grab atension.

Sorry i meant xlr not xir im danish and my english skills refects on it.

Well with my former system my lyngdorf cd 1 player into a lyngdorf tda2200 with roomperfect the difference between rca and balanced was huge.

The balanced was a Vertex aq moncayou the rca was a tara labs .

with the xlr the sound was just to bright with tha tara rca the sound was much more smooth the difference was very aparent and a blind test was not needed.

It could be the tara labs cables that just fitted that system better buy in my experince cables dont make such a large difference so it must be the rca thing i think.

I absolutly agree that the mind can play tricks on you.

I had a hydra 8 4 shunyata anaconda cables in my system and
i was absolutly sure the made the sound much better that was until i removed them all and the hydra and plucked every thing into the wall outlets.
i more then gladly sold all the shunyata stuff .

I cant remember where i read it but the conclusion i have made refelcts at least on reviewers oppinion.

thanks
Whatever works for you if that is your conclusion you will sleep well at night. I personally found that the tonal qualities change very little between the two connections. The benefit of a balanced connection is less noise with a small increase in volume. Plus comparing different brand of cables is definately a contributing factor.
Having been and still am, a big Omega Mikro fan.They will not built their cables with XLRs.They say they have not found an XLR up to their sonic requirements.But,wouldn't you know that my new phono section operates better with XLRs and so I have had the arm terminated with them.I preferred not to use an adapter due to sonic degradation.
There are reasons you might prefer your RCA cables over XLR. One is that some XLR hookups on consumer equipment are not true balanced circuits. In other words, they equipment manufacturer has "faked it" in order to cash in on a trend in this area. A poorly faked circuit could sound worse.

Even with a true balanced circuit, a XLR connection typically has higher output (6 dB) than a single ended RCA connection. At worst this could overload the input circuit of the preamp or amp which would give a noticeable edge to the sound. At the other end, it may still be clean, but it might have you listening louder than you normally might due to where you are visually inclined to set your volume control. These factors would need to be closely examined before declaring a true sonic difference in the cables or cable format themselves.

I'm in the camp that when we hear a true difference (not a psychological one) there are always technical factors that can explain. They may not be the obvious or trendy explanations, but there will be an answer somewhere.