Replacing Nano with iPod for Best Sound

Despite the sleek, sexy design, I have decided I don't like my iPod Nano. It sounds terrible, has a wimpy amplifier, runs out of power quickly and clips offensively as the battery declines.

Perhaps I am out of date or a little old fashioned, but on reflection, I don't care if my iPod is smaller than a wristwatch, how it interfaces with tube amps and electrostatics, or whether or not I can store 50 million songs, TV shows or phone numbers.

I am not interested in sending it off to be modified for hundreds of dollars or connecting it to geeky, tweaky AC powered components on my desktop.

I don't want to "dock" it anywhere, use it in my car, take it to friends parties or fit it into the sleekest, slimmest of shirt pockets.

No, I simply want to use my iPod as a reasonably portable device - in particular when commuting and working out in the gym - while sounding as good as possible, and I dont mind if the device or my headphones are a bit clunky.

Therefore, could someone therefore please update me on the best iPod for portable use only:

* Generation V and VI or the newer "Classic" iPod?
* Which iPods can handle uncompressed or lossless best?
* Which lossless format is best for sound and battery life?
* What headphones can be driven directly and sound best?
* While remaining portable, has anyone experimented with a battery powered external amp and/or line out cable?

Thanks for ideas. I look forward to enjoying music again on an iPod.

Regards,
cwlondon
Timrhu

Thanks but it seems you drew in the competitive bidders.

It traded away for > $600, higher than I would have expected.
I see that Stereophile has included the latest generation of "Classic" iPods in the latest list for recommended components.
I've got an iPod Classic. No complaints when using Apple Lossless with my Etymotic ER-6i IEMs. I can definitely hear a difference between compressed formats and lossless. I think that really depends on the quality of headphones.

I have a Ray Samuels Tommahawk portable amp and ALO cable (bypasses iPod's amp) that drive Etymotic ER4s IEMs. I don't use that combo much due to less traveling for work.

Some say the iPod Touch sounds better, but I'm not sure. It has flash memory instead of a traditional hard drive, which should sound better. But the DAC and amp may have changed. What I can tell you is that my iPhone 3GS doesn't sound as good as my Classic. Maybe due to having a phone in it. Its not a night and day difference, but its not as good.

I think the Classic has/had the Wolfson DAC. My Nano did. It had flash memory too, and sounded pretty identical to my Classic. Not sure of generations of anything except the iPhone. I got the Classic when it first got called that, and the Nano was the one before the bigger screen and video capabilities.
I found that the ipod classic had a lot more authority in the sound than nano 4th or 6th generation (the ones that I own), but, the classic sound seemed a little bit grainier - noticable only in an A/B comparison.

So I've been wondering whether the Touch sound is a best of all worlds - liquid and authoritative?

This is my long way of asking: have any of you compared Touch and nano sound quality and care to comment on it?

I assume use of high quality ear buds. (Personally I love Westone and own three of their models - yeah I even use a $300 pair of Westones at the gym with a shuffle. Worth it!)

Thanks,
Art
As a family, we are trying to keep up with technology,
so I bought my daughter an iPhone, my son a iPod, and myself
an iPad. I felt sorry for my wife, so I bought her an iRon.
Thats when it all kicked off..............