What Song Reminds You of Your First Love?

"Leaving On A Jet Plane"

Gina Chandler, November '70
paul_graham
The Chauffeur - Duran Duran

Great song. Great lyrics. Inscrutable yet deeply profound.
Snofun3,
"Driving in my car" by NRBQ. A shame they only really remained a local band.
I'll tell you this, even though it dates me...
Terry Adams, founder of NRBQ, was a good friend in High School.
He started into music by playing trumpet, but didn't really have the 'chops' to play very well. BUT, he was very bright guy, with a 'fashion sense' of music--and took up piano--emulating Jerry Lee Lewis (why I don't know, as I'm not a fan of Jerry's banging style).
He'd call me and say, "Come over, I've got a drummer and bass player coming over, we can jam."
Not really liking his sort of 'hillbilly rock'n roll' I'd usually decline until he agreed to play some jazz too. At that time, I was into Cannonball and Parker and other jazz greats--and frankly he was curiously a 'Monk' fan too.
That year, we played in the Fall Talent Contest at our High School...playing a Jazz version of the Song 'Tonight', from 'West Side Story'. Great fun. It's amazing how many girls who'd never spoken to me before came up and said, 'Wow, that was good, I didn't know you played, Larry.'
That reaction, as much as my love of music 'sold me' on being an Alto player. lol.

NRBQ, I believe actually, became an East Coast player--AND they've had dozens of albums over the years.

PS. Most of Terry's music is a blueprint from what he did in those Salad Days of summer more than 30 years ago.

Good listening,
Larry