Artists of the Decade

Looking back ten years, this decade has produced some of the coolest music. Here are my "hits" and "misses":

Hits:

Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and U2 did not rest on their laurels, stayed productive in the studio, toured endlessly with real fire, and ended the decade on top of their game.
Not a bad album in the bunch. Not bad for a bunch of geezers whose collective musical experience rests at 130 years.

The Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear and a dozen other young bands went their own way and proved that indie music, produced on small labels, is the sound for today. Quirky yes; boring no. Made me forget the 1960s,1970s,1980s, 1990s, and actually live in the moment.

Radiohead put a bullet in the heads of every major music label by offering their music up at any price. They could get away with this because of the brilliance of the music. Name a better band that so effortlessly put out work as diverse as Kid A and In Rainbows. The new Beatles? You bet.

Hats off to Timbaland and Kanye West for taking Hip Hop to new places. Hard not to admire the ear candy that diverse artists like Missy Elliott routinely served up. And to M.I.A., who made it global, without borders, mixing in sounds at will like a chef adds spices.

And kudos to Apple, whose creative energy designed a device called the iPod and software called iTunes that brought convenience and portability to hundreds of millions of end consumers.

Misses:

Watching talented individuals like Ryan Adams and Elliot Smith self destruct.

Having America buy into the herd mentality of American Idol.

The vinyl revolution. Way too much hype for a medium that failed three decades ago. 2 million units actually shipped; yet thousands of Audiogon posts waxing estatic. Nobody actually talks about the dead wax they own and the wide range of quality problems. I pity the suckers who bought into the 180 versus 200 gram hype.
bongofury
Synthfreek, you're on your game buddy. You and I have very similar tastes. The Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place is one heck of a selection. I'm also a fan of Boards of Canada! If you haven't checked out General Midi, I think you'd like them. Your list will make an excellent reference source.

Cheers,
DB
A few eletronica that I have on vinyl that for a time was my every day play going back loads of years, so far back I can't think/remember what I have tucked away in storage,

*Tangerine Dream- Rubycon!
Tomita,
Edgar Froese/Schulze*
Jean Michele Jarre,
Vangelis,

Have checked out some of the recommendations, good stuff!
The Vinyl revolution? falure? WOW! it always amazes me that those who do not get it knock it! Vinyl, I predict, as i lisien to OWL CITY's "ocean eyes" a new pressing on VINYL, VINYL will be here long after we are dead. The only thing you got right with out question, Springsteen is the music artist of the decade(3 out of the last 4 decades). 2 great albums(the rising and magic), non stop sold out tours in front of massive crowds, supper bowl, kennedy center honors, rock and roll hall of fame honors, political acomplishments(including but not limited to turning down Chris Christie), glastonbury headliner, springsteen syposium, the boss, the savior of rock and roll, finaly seen for what he truly is, the best there is and probably the best there will ever be.
First I have to say that vinyl is the only medium I will audition anything seriously with. CD sound floor is still too high and the sound is compressed.

For those who don't know about good analog,they are missing out.
Also, I rarely get to audition new gear in a parlor.I do go to many homes for listening sessions for fun and to help out.

that said,if I am going into a parlour I try to tailor the music with the idea of testing the component I am interested in,not the whole system. I try not to push the system into playing something that will sound good, but what will reveal possible problems and possible excitement.
I like to listen to choral music so that is what I use.
King's College, Elgar's "Coronation Ode." EMI
King's College, "Vaughn Williams/Howells" Argo
Corydon Singers,"Vaughn Williams/Howells" Hyperion
King's College, Palastrina, "Stabat Mater"

Some times these are quite tough to reproduce well,but are good tests. There are fairly sever high transients and very low and powerful organ pedal notes,and loads of texture and mid range sound stage.
Then I try some pop LPs for electronic speed and dynamics.
lately I have been listening to Chris Isaak's "Heart Shaped World",and Christy Moore's "Voyage". These are both great albums for auditioning.(and just for fun)
Also,jazz: Sphere's "Flight Path" and "Live"
these LPs have the lowest sound floor of almost ANY record I own. amazing music too.

I have heard many "high end" CD players and Dacs and they never get it all.There is always something missing. Once you have heard what a great vinyl rig can do,you are done.

btw I don't buy reissues. I am old enough to own many LPs from the golden age of vinyl, and Ebay and my local used record store provide ample opportunity to get more for dirt cheap. Also let me add,that reissues never sound as good as good originals.I own several MoFi half speeds and most of them suck.At best they equal the original.I have also heard some of the expensive 180-200grm reissues and they were so compressed and lifeless I would be embarrassed to play them.

happy Christmas

e