Nature Sounds CD's

this might seem like a strange question, but i'm looking for well recorded 'nature' cd's... rain storms, song birds, etc. i have bought a few and the sonic quality has been lacking.

any recommendations?

many thanks,
scott
128x128srosenberg
A rewarding nature sounds style is “soundscape”. This is what you hear at a location, when sitting on chair, with your eyes closed. If you want to be transported to a place or time or season then seek out the appropriate recordings. There are CDs for many national parks, beaches, rivers, forests, and other desirable locations around the globe.

Generally field recordists who are passionate about quality will explore binaural recording. Get a binaural nature sounds CD and you should be astonished. With electrostatic headphones, every raindrop can be located in space. This may be a novelty but it is impressive. There are many sub-genres of binaural like nature, machinery, transport, cities, crowds, street noise, etc. The extra attention required for binaural recording normally indicates that the CD is also a superior recording in stereo mode. I wish artists would indicate if their CD is binaural. An artist of superb nature sounds binaural CDs is “Walter Tilgner”.

To add to my earlier postings, some of the discoveries you will make:
1. ‘Superb’ nature sounds overdubbed with ‘ordinary’ music. Obviously a famous name sells the outtakes to others.
2. CDs with half of the tracks as nature sounds and half sounds+music. Caters to all markets with one CD.
3. Nature sounds with a few non-natural sounds (chimes, etc) to make the CD a ‘creation’ for copyright.
4. People offering reseller rights under your own label. What was the original source ?
5. CD-R issues. I get annoyed when sellers pass off CD-Rs as stamped CDs.
6. Avoid anything claiming subliminal or therapeutic benefits.
7. Some recommended artists issue boring CDs. Who wants an hour of uninterrupted surf ? They should have gone to pebble, sandy, rocky, and cliff beaches on calm, normal, and stormy days for a bit of variety.
8. Wind noise is very distracting. The extraordinarily sensitive (high quality) mikes are easily overwhelmed by wind and this pops your speakers.
9. Creative overdubbing is irritating if you are knowledgeable about nature. eg. Activity during thunderstorms; combining species from different regions; having ground cover and high-flying birds together; hearing day and night species together; getting seasons and species mixed; insects can’t fly in gales. An example when less interference is more rewarding.
10. CD label claims to enhanced stereo or full-surround sound are just marketing ploys. On my system, the playback quality for these is usually worse than for normal CDs.
11. All assessments of quality is relative to past experience. Most Amazon site CD reviewers are incorrect when making claims of relative quality. Be wary of “this is the best, most authentic, absolutely realistic” claims until you have listened to some of the recommended names. eg. A quality thunderstorm CD should send a tingle down your spine and rock the foundations, anything else is a con.
12. Your favourite artists are born and die but nature is eternal. This is an open-ended hobby for collectors.
Two more producers worthy of investigation are Jean Roche(with 70 nature recordings) and Lang Elliott. My apologies to other producers of quality not yet purchased and named.

A perfect binaural recording would sound odd in stereo so most binaural recordings have blended sound fields to get a compromise effect.

Since the content is timeless, a CD may be reissued with updated covers or with different ownership.

Over time, nature sounds will become historic documents because of species extinction, global warming, deforestation, urban expansion, drought, etc. The location may be destroyed but we can still hear it.

The limited combinations of words like NATURE NATURAL SOUNDS REFERENCE SEA OCEAN RAINFOREST SERIES etc creates identical titles with completely different contents.

Don't bother purchasing in mall record shops. You will have more luck in the throwout bins, pawn shops, thrift shops, eBay, Amazon, etc. Look in the ambient/new age category.

Eventually you will become discerning and start discarding. I suggest starting the absurd like whales singing to orchestra; the impossible like an orchestra in the rain; the out of context like wolves in a jazzclub; the doodling of free-range musicians; the insulting of maestros like Bach at the beach; the overlay of classic warhorses in inappropriate settings (Pachelbel Canon is common), etc.

If you like the music, then I suggest you go to the sources of high-quality ambient music like Windham Hill.
The pocket -size solid-state recorders enable anyone to make quality field recordings. In the good old days, Dan Gibson had ‘on location’ a suitcase for the tape recorder, box for the lead batteries and amplifiers, plus a huge reel of microphone cables. He needed a team of porters.

I have read of two CDs (insects crawling/eating under bark and bats in flight). Not sure if the appeal is novelty (drilling holes for mikes) or overcoming technical difficulties (frequency division). If you can hear these sounds in nature, then you are qualified to write hi-fi equipment reviews.

I expected the growth of personal/headphone listening and decline in room-based hi-fi listening would encourage binaural recordings. Hint -there is a market, go record and sell. If you self-publish, the download market delivers instant gratification with ephemeral products. Collectors prefer stamped CDs with proper printed inserts (writing on both sides) using ink which doesn’t stick.

Noise pollution is everywhere. Acoustic ecology (lookup Gordon Hempton) is shamefully ignored. You have a responsibility to protect and preserve the natural sounds of this planet. Education and appreciation has to be supported by resources (nature sounds recordings).
Can I have your thoughts.
The music tracks on many (sounds+music) are often synthesiser based. These recordings are now a timescale of analogue and digital sampling evolution. The early CD synthesiser tracks are now unlistenable because they sound so primitive.

I have two CD where each producer has sampled animal noises and separated the sounds into tones. He then painstakingly spliced these tones together in a new order to make the animals sound like a human conversation was occurring.  A bit like dogs singing the happy birthday song on Youtube.  They call this creation art or a collage or sound tapestry.

Another CD has carefully sequenced natural sounds of birds (example penguins in water, jumping onto rocks, climbing the beach, greeting mate, feed chick, etc). Unfortunately,  the recordings were from different locations and even countries which question its authenticity.

This isn't an expensive hobby. The last CD went from list $26.95, sale $4, reduced $0.95, finally purchased for $1.25 in a thrift shop.
I have just been listening to five CDs from the Sounds of Nature” series by Chuck Plaisance and Suzanne Douchet. These are common, good value (cheap) and binaural. As an example: an amazon reviewer reported "Rolling Thunder" has human noises" (I reckon a TV) throughout. Its extremely low volume and not intrusive. I also hear occasional farmyard noises. The CD has no indexing (so you can't skip), headphone listeners have a drainpipe positioned next to the left ear, no lightning sounds, possibly some repetition of storms, and the dynamic range is compressed (thunder should sound like cannons firing). The alert reviewer says the same master tape was used for another CD in the same series. An unnecessary economy because thunderstorms are fairly common.