Rock: well recorded bass...60s/70s

whatz up with bass on most rock recordings? is it that hard to get a decent bass sound? must be...as most bass sounds are either a)muddy or b)razor thin...however the bass I found on Santana Abraxas is outstanding though...very dimensional...with a reach out and touch quality...any other recordings that might have this quality?
128x128phasecorrect
PS: I sometimes laugh at vinyl purists versus digital. It was an imperfect medium at best. When you do stumble on the rare records that are quiet and have master tape sound, they are pure magic. But you will have to shoot-out a lot of dead wax to get at the gems. I find that LA and Seattle has an insane number of stores containing well-priced vintage vinyl that you can do this against. Figure $60 for 30 records; you will find a few of the great ones. Better use of money, versus $60 buying two heavy vinyl reissues. Estate and garage sales are even better to buy whole collections of old stuff.
I'm done buying any older recorded CDs (i.e. 60's, 70's, even 80's) unless they're in HDCD or SACD format or they've been digitally remastered to 24 bit. They just sound awful, little bass, terrible soundstage, etc. My personal goal is to now replace my existing CD collection that fall into that "older recorded" CD category. I've already started and donate my older CDs to the local library. Example: I recentl purchased Jackson Browne "Late for the Sky" digitally remastered. I had the older CD. I played both CDs side by side and the difference is night and day. I immediately donated the older CD. I'm waiting for the day when the record companies wake up and start remastering the earlier Beatles albums, Van Morrison, CCR, etc. Have any of you heard the Beatles "Love" CD? Those cuts were remastered and they sound substantially better. The bass is fabulous.
Pdn be careful there are people on here that will argue with you about this, like maybe a speaker isn't placed right, or there is a curtain hanging a little too low on the right side of the room or your cd player isn't leveled.

ME I agree with you 110%

I too am replacing some older cd's and its funny you mention jackson browne "saturate before using" would be great re-mastered.
Goldenear:

Thanks for the warning but that's OK. Arguments are welcomed. That's what the forum is about. Getting both points of view. I know many folks strongly prefer vinyl over digital. Another area where many an argument can be made. It's just a matter of personal choice and preference.

Bring on the HDCD's, SACD's, Surround Sound DVD concerts, etc. Enjoy !!
PDN And Goldenear

Wait til you hear the new 10 disc Neil Young in Blu Ray. Better quality digital sound is coming.