Rock: well recorded bass...60s/70s

whatz up with bass on most rock recordings? is it that hard to get a decent bass sound? must be...as most bass sounds are either a)muddy or b)razor thin...however the bass I found on Santana Abraxas is outstanding though...very dimensional...with a reach out and touch quality...any other recordings that might have this quality?
128x128phasecorrect
Warren Zevon (first three albums)
James Taylor (first two)
The Faces
James Brown (like Sex Machine)
Al Green
Dusty Springfield
Pink Floyd (especially Dark Side)
The Clash (London Calling)
ok well i cant speak of any of those BUT I can tell you that as for The Faces i cant get any bass from the cd let alone the LP. Even in my car with 2 10's subbed-out very low with a decent amount of gain and still no bass.

I do agree that some recordings have better bass "capture" meaning in the recording process. memay disagree but recording bass and capturing bass correctly is very difficult for alot of recording engineers. there are very few who get it right. Most of the time the bass guitar is recorded directly into the mixing console which makes it sound very thin. and even eq'ing it still doesnt get it right.

Very few have been able to capture bass in a room correctly. at least in the 60 and 70's but again there are plenty of recordings to use for reference on vinyl.

Even in the 80's bass was lack there if in the rock world.

get the new metallica "black album" reissue, absolutely insane controlled bass which has alot to do with the capturing and original recording process.
Goldenear

Must be your copy. I must have "hot wax" because my vintage Faces albums sound great. As a rule, all Glynn John produced albums have very good bass reproduction. It was the way he miced the room using overhead placement. Look at his work with The Who's Who's Next, the debut Eagles album and the Rolling Stone's Sticky Fingers--all have landmark bass tracks. His "A Wink is as Good as a Nod" by the Faces sounds terrific on my stereo.

PS: Rhino re-released almost their entire output on a 4 CD box set four years ago. They went in and remastered quite a bit of the source material. It is not as dynamic a source as compared to the original vinyl I have but is cleanly mastered. I use ATC speakers which are very precise and the bass on both vinyl and CD sounds great when played loud on my system.
Agree with Bongofury.

I have original pressings of every album he mentions and all are wonderful.

Generally speaking too many people are blaming the software when they should be looking more closely at their systems and room acoustics.