Merle Haggard Album Recommendations

I've belatedly become a fan.

What recordings should I own?
jimjoyce25
OK, now the audiophile part of the question:

Are there issues involving re-masterings as with Dylan and Rolling Stones? I find in general that my tastes generally run toward the original masterings as transferred to CD. Is this an issue in Haggard's work?
I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you mean do the remasters sound good or better than the original LP versions? In general I 'd say so. Country music followed more closer to jazz and pop levels of excellence. yet zs with any genre, there are always some few stars, and producers which ensure a fine product is had in the end. hag's stuff is usually done well. though not alwys with his live recordings.. such as Live at Billy Bobs. his Austin City limits show is a very good ojhne and out in DVD and CD.

I've yet to hear as poor a rendering of hags reissues as I've heard of stars such as Neil young, Bob Dylan, and some other rock icons from the sixties and seventies.. Not too many of those older recordings in any genre were intended for playbcak with the higher res systems of today. The ones I noted range from very good to super.

Hope that helps out some.
I differentiate between (i) cd re-issues of the original LP masterings, and (ii) actual re-masterings of the original recordings, then pressed on cd.

I find, for example, that the cd re-issues of the original Rolling Stones LPs are far superior to the re-mastered cd versions that were issued later (2002 I believe).

So my question is: Were Haggard's pre-cd-era LPs just printed straight to disk, with no re-mastering? Or are there re-mastered versions as well? And if there are both, which are preferred?
Beats me. hag is one of a select few for whom, the content is as important as is the fidelity of the recording to me. Usually, I lean towards the well recorded aspect of music over content, save for artists such as Merle... and others of course.

Initially, the converted to disc CDs had an applette on the cover somewhere indicating that... AAD. Analog master, via analog to digital recording. Remasters were usually ADD, I believe. Much if not all today are in the DDD realm now... and consequently the fidelity is improved.

I agree, remasters aren't always better choices.

AS intent and sincere as your interest here seems to be, were I you and so disposed, I'd have a look at Merles recording lable history, and use that as your guide. Otherwise, just buy some online from half dot com, locally used, or Amazon, cheaply, and hear for yourself.

Personally, the recordings I listen to span a great range of fidelity and I always use my main rig as the template for listening... IF the quality of the recording isn't up to what I feel is acceptable, I'll play it on a lesser resolving system, which to me makes sense given the era of the orig issue... and the way some recordings were mastered for anyhow.... like 60's pop and R&B... sometimes the engineer was using a car speaker as a monitor!! or the like!! Figuring, of course, that's how the majority of their market would be playing it back