Merle Haggard Album Recommendations

I've belatedly become a fan.

What recordings should I own?
jimjoyce25
Second, Kern River. Also, if you like Merle Haggard, give Joe Nichols a try. I think he has the best male voice in country music in recent history, although his choice of material has not always been the best. However, his "Revelation" album is quite good and he is certainly influenced by Merle. Also, if you want to go back to Merle's influences, you can try Lefty Frizell and Vern Gosdin.
Thanks for your suggestions. Here's a link to what purports to be the entire discography.

http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/anxietyfriend/2merlehaggard.html
'Down Every Road" Box Set is a good one. $26 on Amazon is allot of Hag for your money.

Merle Haggard is the real deal. His writing and singing reek with authenticity. When he sings "I turned 21 in prison doin life without parole" you know that he knows what despair and helplessness feels like. He captures the working mans condition with an efficiency in words like no other. One of my favorite songs is "If we make through December". A simple poem with simple words but a real tear jerker.

If you like Hag then I recommend Waylon Jennings. Another guy who can really sing. Anything either one of these guys sing with Willie are classics.
there are plenty of somgwriters in this world, some are special indeed. then there are songwriters' songwriters. Dylan, Prine, W. Nelson... and Merle.

merle Haggard has to be a songwriters' songwriter. No question.

Despite the constraints of the 'country' music genre, or because of it, his songs span the casam of cultural differences, and propell 'Americana' to enjoy now, more than ever before widespread appeal. it's easy to see that Lefty, Bob Wills, and John Cash, among others were his inspiration and cues for both his writting, and vocal stylings.

The sheer honesty hag conveys in his lyrics, easily strikes home as being genuine and sincere, more often than not.

"Chicago Wind"... just a super album. Some duets and straight ahead country tracks fill out this effort, two remarkable tracks include a duet with toby Keith on, All Of Us Fly, and his solo account of "it always will Be" also on the CD is stunning.

"If I could Only Fly" is also flat outstanding! In this album Merle departs from the standard down hone classic country theme to inject some more folksy vibes. A real collectors item! This CD got play on many 'cross roads' radio stations that usually won't give play time to commercial artis.

"Last Of The Breed" Willie, Merel, and Ray Price just did a double album recently which is great... remaking Lefty Frizzells, and Bob Wills stuff. it shows the wear and tare that time has had on the singer's voices, yet the recording is great and the songs are timeless.

"Ol' Country singer" has Merle live. "Kickin' Out the Footlights... Again" addresses the life and routine of musicians that have lengthy careers.

Jones sings Haggard, haggard Sings Jones, also has "Footlights" as well as each of the two super stars doing each other's fare. It's well recorded and sounds super.

Naturally, Classic hag remains well, classic. Albums like one just mentioned, "Outlaws", with Jessie Colter, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings is a '70s effort and shows it in it's fidelity, yet the songs on it prevail as standard country pop tunes today.

Country Pride is a collection of his early hits and a must have for hag devotees. Merle's hits exceed what just one album can contain however, and his resurgence in the '80s to immense popularity has a few others which should also be sought. That era from the late eighties to mid nineties was where I think Merle did his best work... but he continues to amaze and entertain through today with the efforts I listed above and other collaberative ones with Asleep At the Wheel, heather Miles, and so forth.

Hag's music has honesty, soul, and sense.

When any entertainer can span decades, write songs his peers seek out to perform, and is still a huge draw, it's a testament to a superior force in music... regardless the genre.... Hag has done exactly that.