Need a Recommendation for Classical Cello...

Hello.

I am interested in locating some recordings (CD Only, please) of performances of unaccompanied cello. I obtained a recording of Bach's Cello Suites (1 - 6) but am looking for something a little different.

I am hoping to find something that is less 'busy' as these selections. Something haunting or melancholy. If this exists (By any composer) please let me know.

Also, I hope to find a recording of an acoustic cello, not electric.

Thanks very much!

Brad Day
Atlanta, GA
bday0000
Which Bach cello suites? My favorite are the old analog Mercury Living Presence from the early 60's with Janos Starker which are available on CD.

Unaccompanied classical cello works are a hard find. Most CD recordings are just the Bach. There is a recording by Colin Carr featuring Britten and Crumb.

For other great cello works while not totally unaccompanied try...

Brahms sonatas for cello and piano (cello sonatas) with Emmanuel Ax piano & Yo Yo Ma cello; on RCA/BMG and available from the Musical Heritage Society.

Faure' and Franck Cello Sonatas played by Shauna Rolston cello; with Menahem Pressler piano (of the Beaux Arts Trio).

While not pure classical you could check out some of Yo Yo Ma's CDs like.

Silk Road Project CDs
Obrigado Brazil
Plays Ennio Morricone
I think what you're looking for are probably some of the best cello concertos (cello with orchestra) or cello sonatas (cello with piano), not unaccompanied cello, because just about the only pieces for unaccompanied cello are the Bach suites that you don't seem to like. You're looking for something "haunting and melancholy," so I'd suggest you try the Dvorak and Elgar cello concertos. Both are among the greatest music written for the instrument, and have the qualities I think you're looking for. If this sounds interesting and you want to pursue it, I can recommend some specific CD performances of these works. (And don't worry about acoustic cello versus electric cello. In the world of classical music, there is no such animal as electric cello, thank God!)