DACs With Killer Built-In Preamps

I see a lot of DACs with volume controls with the ability to act as a preamp. The Audio Research Reference Dac/Digital Media Bridge ($15k) has a volume control and a lot of innards of its Reference 5SE preamp...which makes for a very serious preamp section on that DAC.

Are there any DACs with voulume controls under $7k that can compete with top-tier preamps?
128x128mitch4t
Steve,

If you're ever in St. Louis and wanna bring a fully tricked out SE, I'm sure I can rustle up a few audiophiles to come over for a shoot out with my CT5 and PWD MKII. ;-)

Here's the deal; plenty of people prefer the preamp-less sound. Plenty don't. My ears are open, but I know what I prefer so far. I know a number of people who went direct to amp, only to return to a good line stage later. That said, nothing would please me more than to dispense with a preamp, power cord and IC's so there's no "principle" at stake for me.
VHiner - There is an easy explanation for this. Either the driver on the DAC output was weak (AKA op-amp) or the preamp implementation in the DAC sucked. Most DACs have both problems.

I have never been to St. Louis. I wish I had time for this. I do have a fully tricked-out Overdrive SE demo with money refunded after it is returned, less shipping.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Vhiner,
I clearly understand you position and agree. We all like what we like.As you correctly point out, both approaches have their strong supporters.I prefer the implementation of a top quality active for the same reasons as you.I have no arguments at all with those who prefer the alternative, why should I? I'd have no interest in trying to persuade anyone to change their mind, what's the point of that? Everyone needs to choose the best path for their own needs and stop trying to convince others their way is the better choice for all others.
Regards,
Grannyring,
Are you replacing your Dude preamp with the Eximus DP1?If so let us know your impressions, sounds interesting.
Regards,