Speakers vs. headphones

OK, desperation is setting in (I'll admit it). I have a 12-by-13 room with 7-foot ceilings (carpeted room and acoustic tiles up top) and I've tried every speaker and sub placement imaginable for my very modest system (NAD 326 amp, Totem Mites, Velodyne SL-800 sub). Even without the sub, I can't get the sound to anywhere near what I'd like it to be. I had an even more basic system (NHT Super Zeros, Onkyo amp, M&K sub) in my old home and it sounded INCREDIBLE compared to what I have now. Like I said, I've tried diagonal speaker placements and everything else, including room treatments (panels on first reflection points – no bass traps yet, but it seems the problems go well beyond bass). The question(s): Is it time for headphones? Is it even possible to get decent sound in a room with these dimensions?
128x128jeddythree
I use Audeze LCD-3 along with very perfectionist speakers costing 50 or more times as much. I miss nothing except the feel of bass, but I get the "impact in my head", bass down to 10hz, and love the experience. It is the experience of music, of ease, yet of clarity to the event. Great headphones are lower distortion across a wider band than the best speakers. And that's audible, making the beauty of music easy to enjoy. Headphones are great: cheaper, lower distortion, easily driven. $2k phones + $2k amp = FANTASTIC sound. And I'm a 2 channel guy!
Nice setup Kiddman, especially if you upgrade it from NAD 326/Totem Mites.
For me the ONLY fatigue free headphones found is AKG K701 or K702. Other even more expensive Grados, Senns or Ultrasone may sound better, but catch headache within minutes of listening while K702 would not.
I've heard that audiologists can design headphones for your music needs carefully analyzing your hearing spectrum and submitting required parameters to the manufacturer such as Sennheiser for instance that has a wide veriety of custom manufactured headphones
Thanks, everyone. The one thing I think I've decided is that the Mites might not be my cup of tea, or at least not in that room. Can you recommend a sub-$1,000 pair of monitors that will dance well with the NAD 326?
My room which is dedicated to my system is very close to yours in size, excepting the ceiling height. After years of trial and error what is working best for me is to place the speakers 3 feet from the rear wall with approximately 6 feet between the tweeters. My chair is about 4 feet from the rear wall which puts about 5 feet between my ears and the speakers. The speakers are toed in but not severely.
Not sure this is exactly nearfield but it does let me hear the speakers. Also, the room does have a fair amount of treatment, both absorption and diffusion.
The speakers that work best for me are long out of production, in fact the makers have folded. Still love them though. Oh yeah, Meadowlark Audio Kestrels and Soliloquy 5.0 monitors.
I have tried more speakers than I can remember in my room and always go back to these two models. Never heard the Mites but I did own the Totem Model Ones for a bit.
You already owned them...NHT Superones...sealed bass...great for odd rooms, tight quarters, etc...or give the superzeroes a shot...I wouldn't throw a ton of money at this situation/ solution...it is what it is roomwise