Jeff Rowland Criterion vs Soulution 720

Hi!
Somebody has experience of comparing of these two preamps? Now I have JR Criterion. Whether it makes sense to me to change it for Solution? Will it give something in respect of sound improving. The power amplifier - Jeff Rowland 302, loudspeakers - Magico Q3.
Michael.
grayling
Hi Grayling, what is your budget for a replacement of the Rowland M302? Depending on your budget, I have a few ideas that are consistent with the power of M302 and with the kind of sound that I hope to get from an amplifier. Let me know!

Guido
Hi Grayling, Rowland has a new stereo flagship amp, called Model 825, which fits your $30K budget. M825 is a two chassis SS amp with a total weight of $160. This means that the power supply is in a separate chassis. Power is 400W into 8 Ohms and 750W into 4 Ohms. The power supply appears to be a massive 2400W creature fed by its own PFC rectifier. M825 is the stereo version of the M925 monoblocks (which I have on order). It is my understanding that M925 and M825 are the very pinnacle of Jeff Rowland's design. M825 will start delivering in a couple of weeks. These devices are 3 major engineering generations past M302, and all reports I have heard this far indicate that unlike the old M302, their sound is extremely emotionally involving... I can't wait to have my own M925 pair delivered!

Saluti, Guido
Hi Michael,

Well, I would have a slightly different approach than Guido in answer to your question. I have a fair amount of experience with Magico speakers - having owned the Magico M5 for about 3 years and having done extensive listening to the Magico Q3 and to a lesser extent the Magico Q5. From what I have heard with 2 different Q3 setups, is that the Q3 can sound a little lean in the lower midrange and upper midbass frequencies. One of these setups was using the Soulution electronics (preamp and amp) and I would definitely characterize the sound as somewhat analytical and lacking emotional involvement. I would agree with Guido that the Criterion is a pretty good preamp (I have heard one in my Magico system for about 2 weeks) but that Rowland 302 amp is not the best amp match for a Magico speaker.

The best sounding Magico setups that I have heard have always been with high quality tube amplifiers. I used the VTL Siegfried amps with my Magico M5's and I have listened to a Q5 setup using the VTL S400 stereo amp which sounded great. The person I sold my M5's to is now using the VTL 450 series 3 amps with them and loves the sound and I know another Q3 owner who is also using the VTL 450 series 3 amps.

The other thing that, in my opinion greatly improves a Q3 or Q5 setup is the use of a very high quality sub woofer. I used two of the Rel Studio 3 sub bass systems with my M5's and the improvements were substantial - not just in deep bass but in soundstage, low level acoustic information, and in a richer and more realistic midrange and upper frequencies. I have heard a Q5 setup (with the VTL S/400 amp) with one of the Rel Studio 3's with it on and off and the difference in sound was night and day.

Anyways, hope that helps,

Arnie