Oppo BDP-95 as a pure two channel audio source?

Curious to know if anyone out there has purchased the Oppo BDP-95 soely on its merit as a dedicated two channel audio source? If so, how does it stack up comparatively speaking. Thanks
jayh31
I'll add to rower30's wisdom, I've turned to computer audio many times, Squeezebox, Transporter, PS Audio Perfectwave, and often I looked at my turntable as an easy means to play music. No fuss just drop the needle and listen. And it sounds great to boot. Even my what I thought worn out albums from the 60's and 70's were revived once I actually cleaned them.

On the flip side, now that I've dialed in the computer and software headache, having my library, my entire library ready to play through my IPAD, my iPhone, and even my iTouch, not to mention the keyboard in my room is very cool. Not just that but while I'm scrolling through my library, creating playlists or rating songs I can dig into whatever artist bio I'm listening too. Hell even my 2.5 YO knows JRemote and plays his music. Crazy.

Now, in my "dialed in" setup, it sounds a little better than my turntable. Not an easy feet given it's a VPI Scoutmaster mated to a very good cart.

Jayh31 nails it too. Good discussion.
Jayh31,

I still have the Ayre CX-7e and have not sold it yet.To answer your question at this point yes I would chose the Oppo BDP-105 to the Ayre. I still love the sound of the CX-7e but as I stated using the same power and XLR cables helps eliminate the variables involved. I do not care how "good it sounds", if it cannot play a slightly scratched disc then that is a fundamental problem that needs to be addressed! When you have less costly players including 200 dollar units able to play the same disc that your "high end" player can't, it's time to face the truth. The Oppo holds it own against the older CX-7e. The Oppo has a quieter background and more detail than my CX-7e.

My advice as you stated just keep your Bryston as it seems you do not want to part with it? I will keep my Oppo and modify it where it needs to improving as that is what Charles Hansen did to start the idea of using the Oppo as a base unit for his DX-5. My choices for modding are either using Dan from Modwright or Ric from EVS.
+2 for Statman !!! I needed the universal player for home entertainment as well. But this unit is mostly 85% +++ for music only and serves as my stand alone source. It is nice as well to be able to play digital computer files as well, still don't compare to most of my SACD's and DVD Audio's as those are really revealing with this BDP 105. And another plus for Statman, I plan to not mod my player as I had already modded my Modwright SWL pre-amp with his rectified power supply and improved capacitors (Dan does some justice to this end). This combo sings nicely as well as feeding my Coda integrated.
Fellas, c'mon man. Is it just me, but why is it that so many Oppo owners feel the need to mod it? And Statman, you don't care "how good it sounds" as long as it does a good job of playing scratched disc? With all due respect, that doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. Actually I am looking to part with my beloved Bryston, in fact, it's listed on this very site at the time of this writing. I was hoping that maybe just this once, there was something to all the hype surrounding the Oppo. That it actually was a true giant killer and that just maybe, after twenty plus years of cd player technology, we had progressed to the point of allowing for a low cost, audiophile grade component to actually exist. For a minute there, my faith had me a bit excited about all the buzz, which in fact prompted the thread. Unfortunately however, my hopes have been dashed, because that's not what I'm hearing from Oppo owners. what I'm hearing instead, is that the Oppo is a great video piece with a whole slew of cool digital features and flexibility that happens to also play cds, almost as an afterthought, with the suggestion that while they really enjoy their Oppo, it does not compare to the best dedicated audiophile digital sources out there, e,g, Ayre, Esoteric. Cary, Copland, etc. Which for my needs and point of view, pretty much excludes the Oppo from consideration as a serious cd player. Thanks again, Jayh31 jayh31
I believe that the Ayre probably does not have as much error correction to try and give you as pure of a signal as possible. I would guess Mr. Hansen cares more about sound quality than playing uncared for disks.