Fuse burned out in shipping? ?

Okay, I bought an amp--a Halfer DH220--from a 'gent' who assures me it was in perfect working order prior to arriving. It arrives and one channel doesn't work. It was poorly packed, so I wasn't surprised, but it also had a burned fuse on the channel that no longer worked. Bad sign.

So I write this 'gent' who continues to insist that the amp was functioning at the time of shipping and he can't imagine why a fuse would of burned out. ---- He suggested that perhaps something happened in shipping to cause the fuse to burn out!! ---- Okay, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I smell BS. However, I decided I would give his story one tiny modicum of the benefit of doubt and come here and post. Soooo.....

Is there ANYTHING that could happen to an amp, packed inside a friggin box and not plugged in, that could cause it to burn out a fuse? I think this is complete crap, but hey, I'm not gonna crucify someone if I'm wrong.
aewhistory
Yes it can. Tube amps have to have a load on them to be turned on. If you turned on the amp without the speaker connected, you could possibly be the reason the amp is damaged.
Solid state has no worries about this, but tube amps do.
Ray, Zman: thanks for your responses. The Halfer DH220 is an early MOSFET SS amp. However, having never owned a tube amp, I have to admit that I've never even heard that you must have a speaker connected to all of the terminals in order to turn on a tube amp. I can't see how not presenting a load to drive would affect a SS amp, but I suppose tubes really are a different beast.

I have a quasi-ending to this. I ended up filing with paypal and offered the seller a compromise. I would keep the amp and he would refund $50 of the $120 purchase price. Given that I was already out the $20 for shipping and I'd have to pay another $20 to send it back it seemed more cost effective to end up paying $70 and still have the amp and maybe fix it instead of going to the trouble of packing it up and sending it back to get a net $80. Essentially I figured it was a choice between being out $40 and have nothing to show for my trouble or be out $70 and I can use the Hafler to practice my "why won't this work" skillset. There ya go.

In the end the seller wrote back and accepted my offer, so now I am the proud owner of half of a Hafler DH220. The seller has been adamant that the amp was sent in working condition. He has no reason to lie at this point and I'm not going to argue--I think it is very likely the amp was damaged somehow in shipping. Now I am hoping to figure out what happened and try to fix it. This will likely be more difficult than I hoped at first since I have not found any outward signs that the amp isn't functioning save for a burnt fuse and no sound.

So that's where I am at right now. A few people have mentioned that I might have blown the fuse when I turned it on. I suppose this is possible. If the amp was damaged it is possible that the fuse blew when it was turned in. I have what is perhaps a naive question. It has been quite some time since I have blown a fuse--in fact I've only ever done it once and that was almost 15 years ago--but doesn't a fuse blowing make a little sound? Or am I just off my rocker? (the answer to that question is probably yes, but you know what I mean). I ask because I never heard any sort of noise. The channel was always dead silent, I never heard what I would have thought was that sound of a fuse dying, and even the cooling fins on the right side don't heat up (on the left they get toasty).

As usual, any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Aaron
I sold a CJ MF-2500A a few years ago.It was working perfect 1 hour before I carefully packed it up to ship ,from Fl to Conn. When I recieved an email from the buyer telling me that only one channel was working.So I had him ship it to Conrad Johnson .They said a capacitor went bad and replaced it.The buyer got the amp back in about 2 weeks and quickly fell in love with the amp.Of course I paid for the shipping and repair.Chalked it up to the cost of doing business and doing the right thing.Wish I still had that amp!
I have blown a fuse--in fact I've only ever done it once and that was almost 15 years ago--but doesn't a fuse blowing make a little sound? Or am I just off my rocker? (the answer to that question is probably yes, but you know what I mean).
09-08-12: Aewhistory
Short answer, no.... You would not hear anything....

Simple solution? Take the amp to a service repair shop.
The problem could be something simple to repair.....

Take this Hafler website address along with you.
http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf