Fuse burned out in shipping? ?

Okay, I bought an amp--a Halfer DH220--from a 'gent' who assures me it was in perfect working order prior to arriving. It arrives and one channel doesn't work. It was poorly packed, so I wasn't surprised, but it also had a burned fuse on the channel that no longer worked. Bad sign.

So I write this 'gent' who continues to insist that the amp was functioning at the time of shipping and he can't imagine why a fuse would of burned out. ---- He suggested that perhaps something happened in shipping to cause the fuse to burn out!! ---- Okay, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I smell BS. However, I decided I would give his story one tiny modicum of the benefit of doubt and come here and post. Soooo.....

Is there ANYTHING that could happen to an amp, packed inside a friggin box and not plugged in, that could cause it to burn out a fuse? I think this is complete crap, but hey, I'm not gonna crucify someone if I'm wrong.
aewhistory
I have a few moments here to add to my post: I actually did get to remove the top panel (I alluded to that in my previous post) and looked for damage. There was nothing out of the ordinary that I could detect. None of the capacitors look like they are bulging, I didn't notice any loose parts, broken connections, etc. But the real kicker is that the internal fuses were intact. That said, they looked newer (less age accumulated crud) than the back fuses. Also, as I mentioned before, the top of this case has been removed, probably MANY times. It was a hodgepodge of screws of different types and ages.

Still, the fuses aren't blowing when I turn the amp on or anything, there is just no sound. I know this amp is old, but I don't see any VISUAL evidence of a problem. Then again, I'm sure I could be more thorough
As well as more educated about what to look for, so feel free to take that with a bit of skepticism. I build computers a lot, do soldering, etc., so I'm not lost inside an amp case, but I'm just not an expert either.

In any event, I can buy, in theory, that the amp was damaged in transit and that the fuse blew when I turned the amp on. But then why doesn't it blow when I put a new fuse in? That's what bothers me.

I could buy that maybe I shorted the terminal and blew a fuse (in theory, I feel confident I didn't) but then why doesn't a new fuse get things going again?

Finally, I think what bothers me the most is that the channel never made a peep. It wasn't like there was this very brief sounds and the fuse blew cutting the sound out, I mean it was like my speaker was hooked up to nothing. The closest I came to getting sound from this channel was when I jiggled the connection a bit to keep it from sliding off and I got a nasty type of static (and come to think of it I can't recall for sure which channel that was.... Damn my brain).

I specifically asked the seller to package this amp well because I have had an awful run of luck getting electronics lately (this is the 5th item damaged in transit in 3 months). He ignored me completely, at least IMO, and I've got a damaged amp. Nevertheless, I don't want to accuse him of trying to steal if this is a shipping accident. OTOH, if he did send a dud then he can go @&!&$@! himself.

Oh, he told me I should file the insurance claim.... AFAIK, doesn't the sender have to file this? After all, he is the one who purchased the insurance. This just feels like someone trying to send me off on little errands until I either forget or don't care.

PS- I paid with Paypal, so if the seller is trying to scam me he is going to be disappointed.

Sorry, that turned into a little bit of a rant.
Do a PayPal dispute immediately. They will put a hold on the money. That will get him to do something. Doesn't sound like he wants to work with you. If you bought here you can initiate a dispute as well. Keep us posted.
If you are not happy ( and I wouldn't be), PayPal will take care of you on this matter.
If the seller isn't responding to you in a fashon that you are satisfied with, I would open a dispute with PayPal and forward all of the emails to them and ask for a refund.
Good luck with your venture.
Finally, I think what bothers me the most is that the channel never made a peep. It wasn't like there was this very brief sounds and the fuse blew cutting the sound out, I mean it was like my speaker was hooked up to nothing.
It appears you hooked up the left speaker first. Just guessing when you powered up the amp the right channel fuse blew.

I happened to have one speaker readily on hand that wasn't already hooked up, so I hooked it up to the left channel. Sounded peachy.
08-30-12: Aewhistory

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Still, the fuses aren't blowing when I turn the amp on or anything, there is just no sound. I know this amp is old, but I don't see any VISUAL evidence of a problem.

I went and put the left channel fuse in the right holder and tried turning the amp on again. Still no sound. I went and put the fuse back in the left channel and moved speaker wire back to left to make sure that the fuse was still good. Left channel sounded just fine... Again. So this time I left the left channel fuse and put in my own fuse with same ratings. Nothing. Tried raising volume. Nothing.

Sometimes a shorted component will clear itself under power and become an open, causing a circuit to be open..... Just guessing that is what happened.

Oh, he told me I should file the insurance claim.... AFAIK, doesn't the sender have to file this?

I believe so..... The seller did insure the amp, right?

Packaging: the amp was wrapped in one very thin layer of bubble wrap and then put in a box stuffed with shredded paper. Since the box was only a bit larger than the amp itself--about 1" extra on most sides--there wasn't much room for packing material to begin with. Sadly, the shipper didn't even really stuff the box with shredded paper, so the amp could easily moved inside. So it is entirely possible this amp was damaged in shipping.

The box looked like a big ball of tape. I'm not kidding. Every inch was taped, sometimes three, four, five times over. The top of the box had caved in some during shipping, but the massive amount of tape kept it all together, so to speak. I'll take another, closer look later tonite.

As for the amp, I haven't noticed anything that I would call shipping damage. There are plenty of signs of aging, but no bent fins, dented structure, visibly broken internal parts, etc. What I DID find, though, was that is was readily apparent that this amp has had many hands inside it before. It is missing some of the screws for the top case and those that are there are different (and visibly different ages as well).

No outside physical damage on the amp? I bet the the shipper will look for outside physical damage.....

If I could ask, how much money are you into this amp?

[url]http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf[/url]

Hey guys, thanks again for the replies. To be frank, I'm not into the amp for much money. I think it is $120 or so. Even damaged the DH220 has some value, so absolutely worst case scenario is that I overpaid for a fixer upper amp. If that was what I was buying I'd be fine, but I asked about the working status of the amp and was told it was in perfect working order.

For me these things are a matter of principle: the amp was a good deal, in theory, so if he is honest and telling the truth then I don't want to be a d$ck. Otoh, if he is trying to swindle me, even if for a few bucks, then I take a completely different attitude. As you've all noted, it won't take any
effort to file a Paypal claim and I will be doing so later tonight or tomorrow seeing as he has stopped communicating with me now. Moreover, if I don't say anything then he is all the more likely to try this on other people. I don't pretend to be some world policeman, I just don't like this crap.

Anyway, I took another look at the amp and there is really nothing to call outside physical damage. There are scratches and whatnot, but frankly the casing of this amp is in decent shape. I've seen some Hafler that look like Rocky in round 15.

I also took another look around inside and I'll be damned if I could find anything in there that looked out of the ordinary. The ONLY thing that caught my attention was the state of the the 5th internal fuse or 7th overall fuse. The DH220 has a total of 7 fuses, 3 per channel: 1 external fuse and 2 internal fuses protecting each channel for a total of six and a seventh fuse that seems linked to the power button in some way. This fuse has staining inside. I've always associated this staining with a fuse that has repeatedly come VERY close to burning but didn't quite blow. This is a weird fuse tho. It doesnt have one Just one thin filament; it also has a filament that sort of spirals around the glass. I've never seen anything like this before, so I don't know if my description does this justice.

Jea, yes, I did power the left speaker first, so it is possible that the right channel fuse burnt while I was listening to the left channel. That would explain a few things. I'm a little puzzled by your description of a shorted component and clearing itself. It isn't that I disagree or anything, I merely don't think I understand. Would you mind elaborating?

Would this explain why the right channel might burn a fuse and then the
subsequent fuses would be okay? I guess this is where I am stuck. With some kbservable damage I am having a difficult time buying shipping damage. However, it is a 30 year old (plus) amp that was poorly packed in glorified confetti, so I can imagine a relatively modest event damaging something. But if I understand what you're saying--that a temporary short killed the fuse but then resolved itself--why does the channel not function? What I mean is, if the short is the problem, and it resolves, then it should play, right? Am I being WAY too simplistic here?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's feedback. This has been informative above and beyond just resolving this minor little shipping issue.

All the best, Aaron