Vintage Power Amp vs new age power amp

Hi. Anyone has any experience in vintage power amp performance over the new era entry power amp?

I am currently using a Emotiva XPA-3 rated at 200watts per channel. I will have a chance to get a vintage Marantz Model 300 DC vintage power amp. I wonder what difference in performance it will get over my Emotiva.

Anyone has experience with these 2 or maybe similar? The bad thing I know about Marantz is that there's no banana plug connection for speaker cables.. hehe
chaozhoi
Sort of a new Mustang vs an old Mustang w/ a rebuilt engine, suspension and modern tires debate. I had a Rotel RB-1080 power amp lots of power, well built, good synergy with the rest of my system- good looking amp. The McIntosh 2100 that replaced it just beat it. Not by a lot, but in a way that said "I'm a classic. There's a reason for it- listen". Oh and the McIntosh uses spade lugs-eesh....
It's like I said before: Good sound is where you find it. Some vintage stuff became audio classics for good reason--it was ahead of the curve, or it achieved a great balancing act between the science and art of audio. OTOH, not everything that's old is golden. Sometimes it's just old and out-of-date.

By and large the new stuff is faster and cleaner, but not necessarily. However, there are landmarks in all periods. One such is the Marantz PM804 integrated amp. At $999 it's like getting a 70 wpc integrated in 1972 for $190. Back then, you couldn't get an amp with the bandwidth combined with its s/n at *any* price.

But OTOH that doesn't mean you'll give up your Eico for it. Like I said, good sound is where you find it. I say this as someone who listens with great pleasure through a 1981 Heathkit AA-1600 power amp. There may be better amps out there, but not at the $239 I paid for this audio classic.

As for the original OP, whether to get that Marantz 300D or buy new, the asking price on the Marantz combined with your own visceral reaction to the sound of the Marantz is your only true answer.
you are right. you should try and it's in general good investment in case if you don't like it. my experience with restoring vintage units is more positive than negative compared to the modern units that either priced the same or even substantially larger.
i'd rather drive 20 y.o benz than new ford.