Integrated or Amp/Preamp combo for Magnepan 1.7

Hi All - currently using a W4S 250W/channel integrated amp with fairly new Magnepan 1.7s and thinking I can do better. The sound is a bit bright and I'm wondering if a different integrated or amp/preamp combo would help. I've searched the forums and haven't found a lot of specifics. I'm considering, thanks to a fellow Agoner, something like an older Audio Research Pre or CJ pre with a solid state amp (Pass or others). I would prefer an integrated amp, but separates may be the way to go. Hegel, SimAudio or tube integrated are under consideration. I have a small square room ( roughly 11 x 11 ) and I mostly listen to classical, jazz and classic rock. Budget would be around $3000. Thanks for any suggestions.
shaksfan
Shaksfan, If you do a bit of a search in the forums you will find that many people like the solid state Cary amps with Maggies. Full disclosure here, I will have a pair of CAD 500's MB's up for sale in a couple of weeks, having just purchased a pair of CAD 500.1's. That said, you may be fighting a loosing battle with Maggies in an 11x11 room. I'd think about some serious dampening in the corners behind the speakers, at the very least.
Go find yourself the PASS 150 intergrated or Musical Fidelity A5.5 both have enough power and sound very nuetral
I had the Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated amp and didn't like it. I now have the Prima Luna Prologue 3 pre and a pair of Bel Canto REF 500M amps, my MMG's are sounding much better to my ears.
If it were me, I would consider a used Accuphase or Mcintosh integrated. These two will sound very different; which one sounds better will be up to your ears. I'm not a Mac guy, but when I have heard Mac integrated models w/ autoformers and Maggies I thought that it was an excellent combination, IMO.

The Pass unit mentioned above would also be a great choice.