Integrated or Amp/Preamp combo for Magnepan 1.7

Hi All - currently using a W4S 250W/channel integrated amp with fairly new Magnepan 1.7s and thinking I can do better. The sound is a bit bright and I'm wondering if a different integrated or amp/preamp combo would help. I've searched the forums and haven't found a lot of specifics. I'm considering, thanks to a fellow Agoner, something like an older Audio Research Pre or CJ pre with a solid state amp (Pass or others). I would prefer an integrated amp, but separates may be the way to go. Hegel, SimAudio or tube integrated are under consideration. I have a small square room ( roughly 11 x 11 ) and I mostly listen to classical, jazz and classic rock. Budget would be around $3000. Thanks for any suggestions.
shaksfan
I am a Magnepan and Hegel dealer. We have recently set-up over ten systems pairing the 1.7's with the Hegel H70 or H100 integrated amps. At $3k, the H100 would be at your price point. It is quite a step above the H70. It will not clip, even driven wide open, due to its "Sound Engine" technology. Just thought I'd chime in and let you know what I believe to be a great combo at a nice price point.
Thank you Everestaudio for your thoughts. I see a H200 on Agon now, just above my price. Might be a good option as well.
I am about to purchase new Mag 1.7's ....
Right now, I am considering the modified Jolida hybrid tube DAC for $750 ...
I am seeking bang for the buck tube preamp ...
I have a 25 watt Class A tube amp ...
1> Is the Jolida DAC a right choice for the Maggies?
2> What is the best sound per dollar tube preamp for the Maggies?
3> Do I need a power source such as the PS-1?
4> What cables are the best bang for the buck?
5> Do I need to modify the Maggies with better fuses for the tweeters like some recommend?
I am about to purchase new Mag 1.7's ....
Right now, I am considering the modified Jolida hybrid tube DAC for $750 ...
I am seeking bang for the buck tube preamp ...
I have a 25 watt Class A tube amp ...
1> Is the Jolida DAC a right choice for the Maggies?
2> What is the best sound per dollar tube preamp for the Maggies?
3> Do I need a power source such as the PS-1?
4> What cables are the best bang for the buck?
5> Do I need to modify the Maggies with better fuses for the tweeters like some recommend?
Shaksfan, If you do a bit of a search in the forums you will find that many people like the solid state Cary amps with Maggies. Full disclosure here, I will have a pair of CAD 500's MB's up for sale in a couple of weeks, having just purchased a pair of CAD 500.1's. That said, you may be fighting a loosing battle with Maggies in an 11x11 room. I'd think about some serious dampening in the corners behind the speakers, at the very least.