Preamp recomendation

Looking for advise on a good preamp. Under $1000, solid state, at least treble and bass control capability, and a remote control. Am currently using a Yamaha cx-630 preamp, along with original Legacy focus speakers, Hafler 9300 power amp, Cambridge audio 840-Z c-d player, Morrow MA1.1 interconnects, and staightwire laser 8 speaker cable.

Thanks for checking this out GH
128x128ghoeper
Correction, the c-d player in the initial description of my system is a Cambridge Audio Azur 840-C (not Z) My apologies.
Audio Research LS9
Muse 3 signature
Classe Five
Coda Windows Continuum 4
Adcom GFP750
These are all winners, Nice sounding, balanced or single ended, remote
The Audio Research really needs to run balanced (low gain on single ended)
Ghoeper
The lower the voltage, the harder it is to make something that sounds good. In an audio system there are several power amps besides the amp you use to drive your speakers. For example, a CD player needs to send the signal to a preamp. Inside the CD player, there is a very small power amp that is used to drive the signal through the interconnects. The amp in the CD player is basically the same thing as your big power amp but much smaller.

It is much more difficult to design the small amps in your cd and active preamp.The weaker the signal, the more sensitive it is to work with. Small changes at that level have a very big effect on sound quality.

When you use a passive unit, there is no amp inside it like an active has. It just controls volume and input selection (if you have more that one input. Because an active preamp is harder to design, it costs to make. Generally speaking, active preamps don't out preform passives until you get to around the $3000 price range. My opinion is that if you can't get a really good active preamp then don't buy one at all.

I hope this info helps you out. If you have any more questions, just post.
Thanks for the additional explanation. It makes more sense to me now. I will definitely research this option further.

Timlub, I have considered the Adcom GFP750. Are you able to control Bass and Treble with this. Somewhere I got the idea you couldn't. Also, is there really a big difference between the "Blue board" version and any other? Thanks or your help.
The GFP750 would be a very good choice. I'm pretty sure it has no tone controls. Also, if I remember correctly, it has an active line stage as well. You can switch back and fourth between active and passive. I would check, though, as I am not 100% sure.