Which is a better choice? New, or used preamp?

So I've been doing a lot of research, and am interested in people's opinions about a new vs. used tube preamps...

I'm looking for a good quality tube pre, maybe around $1500. People have recommended some new products (Doge an YS for example) in that price range, but I can't help but wonder if I'm not going to get a better performance with a used pre in that price range that used to sell new for maybe $2500-$3500?

That would be a 10-15 year old pre probably, so has the quality advanced such that the YS could present a better soundstage, for example?

Thanks,

Michael
mjm6
I disagree with Larryi, there has been one major advance in tube technology. Companies have figured out how to get a lot more money for them! LOL
Thanks for the feedback... That's basically what I figured, and so I was thinking I would probably go the used route. I couldn't imagine that the preamps had really made that much improvement for a new one to better one that is maybe 10 years old, and 2x the price. Considering inflation, the difference is evn more substantial anyway.

I've always had a preference for the Sonic Frontiers preamps (probably because I just couldn't really afford ARC, C-J, BAT or others back then, so they never really showed up on my radar), so I was thinking of a S-F SFL-2 or maybe or Line-2 or -3.

Maybe some of you can tell me what preamps are contemporary to the late- 90's and early- 00's SF gear and should be considered? I like a comfortable sound, slightly laid back maybe, dark rather than bright, large and deep soundstage, and some 'tube' sound, but not hugely euphonic with tubiness. I think that's why I like the SF gear, over the older C-J, for example, but it's really been a long time since I've heard C-J.

Thanks,

--Michael
One preamp that would meet your criteria is the VTL 2.5. It is in the right price and age range, purchased used, and is renowned for its soundstage. There are a couple threads discussing the 2.5 on this site - it has an enviable reputation.

No doubt others will suggest equally attractive options.
I'd second the ARC SP-15 which is a great value & classic valve preamp if you can find one here on the 'Gon. Another good pre to look at is a near new Modwright LS-100 which you can pick up (ex phono stage) for around $2k, or with phono stage around $3k.
CJ sounds less like solid state than ARC for example. My advice is to replace, or have any and all electrolytic capacitors replaced when you buy used. Over a period of years they get weaker and degrade the performance; of course this only applies to older used preamps