Vintage Amps - Pleasantly surprised

A while back, i was given a non-functional Sansui AU-666, which I recently had restored for sh*ts and giggles. Hooked it up to Rega Aras in my bedroom, using a computer source with a basic NuForce uDac.

Honestly, i was not expecting much out of this combo. However, I am blown away by the sound quality i'm getting out of this extremely modest setup. It shockingly possesses much of the desirable 'audiophile traits' one would typically hope for. I'm not saying it's perfect, but for a 40 year old piece, i'm utterly stunned.

And considering the entire setup cost less than 450 bucks, including stands (excluding computer, but which i had already), i could not have asked for more.

Anyone else with this kind of experience using vintage gear?
loose
Dvjorge is spot on. Its incredible how good the stuff from the 70s/early 80s is compared to today. The first time i broke out my old pioneer gear (from 78) after its long (20yr+) storage, i just sat there listening and stunned. Remote control and lack of controls and inputs that characterize modern stuff is simply not worth $5K+. And yes, i do think the 70/80s stuff can smoke much of the $5000)!
One of the most important aspects of tube gear is the transformers used. Simply put, vintage transformers are awesome and some of my favorite tube amps I have are Pilot amps (I have three different Pilots) using EL84 output tubes giving me about 12-15 glorious sounding watts per channel. Pilot has a great circuit that gives speed and dynamics and transformers that give beauty to the sound.

Keep you eyes open for some of these amps, you won't regret it.
I've got a Scott 299 integrated tube amp, Scott 350B tube tuner, KLH 17 speakers and a Thorens TD 125 MKII turntable with an SME arm and soundsmith cartridge. Everything except the cartridge is over forty years old and it sounds stunning. Vintage gear rocks.
I'm happy to hear that others have been enjoying old gear as well.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier - The Sansui's headphone jack is apparently directly connected to the outputs. When I use my Grado SR325is through this amp, they lose the slightly overbearing edge they still have (had) even after hours of break-in, and the bass blooms and really fills out, with more sense of power. This may have satisfied my urge to purchase a separate headphone amp. Yes, really!

Hell, I may even refresh my Dual 505 III with a new stylus and see what the phono stage is all about.

I'm seriously running out of space for all my gear, though...and I love it.
I recently purchased an older (mid 90s) Harman Kardon amp on ebay. After giving it a thorough cleaning and then rewiring it I am amazed at how good it sounds. I'm seriously considering using this as my main amp. Take a close look inside and you see very simple circuit design with all discrete quality components nicely laid out.
Install an IEC socket, rewire the A/C input and output section with quality binding posts and nothing to complain about. If you think about the process of amplifying an audio signal, not a lot has changed over the last 30+ years. Buconero117 has a point.