Has anybody heard the new Audio Research LS 27?

The new LS 27 is coming to the dealers now. Called the Audio Research and they said the new LS 27 sounds better than the Ref 3 and very close to Ref 5. That is the reason why the listing price of the LS 27 is changed to around $7,000 so that it won’t affect the sales of the Ref 5 too much.

Have you heard the LS 27 and how do you like it?
yxlei
Again, this is utter hogwash..

"But even ARC admits that with a few upgraded parts the SP6 can sound substantially like their current preamp offerings. If that's the case, then the difference between the Ref 3 and the Ref 5 really is very, very small. Whether or not that very, very small difference is worthwhile or valued is a separate question"

If you've heard both the pieces in a system, you would not be making such assertions. Agreed, sometimes with this hobby it can involve diminishing returns, but not in this case. To the OP, the LS 27 settles nicely between the REF3 and the REF5. Do go listen to it if you can. I'm not sure what you've been using or comparison shopping for, but in the $7k range it's a winner.
05-07-11: Onhwy61
An example of a company staying in business by meeting a pre-existing market demand - airlines. Say I want to go to Europe from the U.S., several airline companies are there to meet my need. Essentially airlines replaced cruise ships and at some point in the future some new travel innovation could replace airlines, but until that new method of travel arrives airline company can offer the same old same old.
Airline is a highly regulated limited competition service business ... NOT commodity based. You are comparing apples to oranges. USUALLY customers shop based on schedule and price and not the type of plane.

Knghifi, if I read you correctly you actually agree with some of our description of ARC's business model.
No, you read me INCORRECTLY!

It's just that you see in purely in a positive light
No, It's not positive or negative just reality.
This is exactly what happens when a car manufacturer comes out with a new model every year. That's why some people buy used cars in order for someone else to take the depreciation 'hit'. Are people pissed because once they drive their new car off the lot, it depreciates a few grand? They are not. They realize models change every year. Prices go up and more options and accessories become available for the new model. That's the way it is. The marketing model exists for any electronics product and even cars as stated above. If you don't wish to precipitate in the purchase of new products, try buying something used next time.
I guess the question is whether in fact the many models and revisions of
those products over the years were in fact the result of continuous
improvement of preamplifier performance, or in fact the result of
calculated product marketing strategies geared to driving demand. Both
are legitimate and a business is certainly entitled to do whatever it needs
to do to drive sales and stay in business (and providing good products and
customer service is an essential part of that, and ARC certainly does make
good products and at the pinnacle of customer care). However, I feel that
the principal circuit topologies needed for building a good sounding active
line stage with gain have been around a long time and very little has really
changed in that regard, other than some better parts with tighter
tolerances (perhaps). So yes, ARC makes very fine products - they always
have. But I don't believe the "improvements" overtime is to the
degree which all the models, revisions, latest and greatest announcements
might suggest. That is I think it is every bit as much driven
marketing/advertising principles as it is by technical ones. That doesn't
mean there is any reason not to own an ARC preamp, they are very fine
indeed.
Caveat emptor. Buyers decide: The Market reacts: Companies live or die

ARC has survived for the last forty years, if it's all been a gimmick it's remarkably well disguised!